Novice Figuring Out What to Buy

I realized the CNC builds seem more challenging than a 3D printer.

I am wanting to build a minimum area 24x48" working platform and figured the LowRider2 would be good.

However, this will be only for an oscillating tangential knife and crease wheel tool dual head (custom built).

I see controllers but require Mach3 installed into them and such controllers are built just for Mach3 software. But Mach3 cost over a thousand dollars for commercial license which is too costly for my start-up.

I need an x, y, z, and c axis and preferably a or b axis for the oscillating stepper.

I read around that there is the CAD to build the device, the the DXF conversion. Then the DXF to G-Code conversion. Then the Controller software that reads the G-Code.

My ideal software is myCNC. (won’t allow me to post links)

But if they end up being costly, I will resort to other software. However, the myCNC software says that it converts the DXF to G-Code. That means I can place that G-Code on any controller, right?

Can someone help me out to make this possible in a cheap fashion?

Thanks and God Bless!

1 Like

Take a look at the software workflow, so we can talk the same language.

You’ve got two major parts of the problem. CAM to generate the gcode and then the firmware that can handle 4 axis. I am guessing you should look at linuxcnc, which is like mach3, but open source and free. I have no idea what cam package to use to do what you’re asking. I don’t know how a crease wheel works.

2 Likes

Thanks Jeff.
I read through the link provided. To clarify, the g-code sender needs to be compatible with the controller, right?
On 3D printers, all we need is a .stl file and it don’t matter what 3D printer we use. However, for CNC, I realized that isn’t the case, right? We can’t just upload g-code script to the controller like as if uploading .stl file for 3D printer, correct?

After reviewing and exploring the website more, I realized that the x and y motors are in series into one stepper axis port. That means there would be 2 stepper motor ports left over. One for the c axis and one for the oscillating stepper.

So far, my understanding is that I need DXF file or a vector format file for my 2D knife cuts. I upload it in a CAM software and assign tool paths. Then that converts it to a g-code script from that CAM software. Now I upload that g-code script to a g-code sender (still not sure what this is). Then I upload it into the provided Marlin controller.

Did I understand all that correctly?

On 3D printers, all we need is a .stl file and it don’t matter what 3D printer we use.

Based on my understanding…

An stl file is a representation of a 3d model. A slicer will then turn that 3d model into a set of 2d paths (each in a subsequent layer). The slicer will then generate gcode for the firmware specific to your particular printer. Then the gcode is “transmitted” to your printer and the layers are printed one at a time stacked on top of each other. Not all printers will execute the same gcode file the same way.

A dxf file is a representation of a 2d model. The CAM program is used to turn that 2d model into a set of 3d paths. The CAM program (+any post processors) will then produce gcode for the firmware loaded in your CNC machine. Then the gcode is “transmitted” to your CNC and material is cut away one 3d path at a time. I’m not sure these are technically 3d paths but with plunge rates and other modifiers that’s how I think of them. Not all CNC machines will execute the same gcode file the same way.

Thanks!

Design software > Toolpath creator > Gcode creator > Gcode loader > Firmware > Hardware control board

The standard firmware for the MPCNC and LowRider is Marlin. It’s core was developed as 3D printer firmware that has CNC functionality added to it among other things. It does not have a fourth axis functionality. I agree with @jeffeb3 that LinuxCNC might be what you are looking for in terms of control. @dkj4linux has some some cools stuff with it.

The Synthetos tinyG board has a lot of folks doing interesting stuff with it in different axes. You can use ChiliPeppr to control the board or other firmware solutions.

If you aren’t doing huge tangential forces on the tool and only have a minimum Z height, as you might be working with leather or paper, then a larger MPCNC wouldn’t be too bad because the side load is minimal.

Just thinking out load. I have played with LinuxCNC and the tinyG and both have lots of possibilities. Then again, depending on what you are doing, the standard Marlin firmware and usual hardware might be enough for your needs. What materials?

And welcome to the forum @beapilot

Thanks Marion.
I didn’t expect anymore responses.

When I was suggested Linux, I thought now I need a Linux computer and learn how to use one. I’ve always been a Windows OS person and limited Maconisoh.

The primary purpose of my tangential cutting machine is to cut corrugated 3mm thick.

Since the Marlin acts as the 3D printer, we can use the “extruder” to operate as the c-axis. But how?

Thanks for your input!

One thing about Linux is you can just install it on a machine that isn’t that new. Something five or six years old would be fine. The old serial interface doesn’t require a lot of cost to get working between the breakout board and the driver board. There are lots of options though for control using dedicated cards or ethernet solutions that can get to another level of cost.

Corrugated cardboard?

I have loads of Linux experience in general but have only been in the shallow end of LinuxCNC. I do have a system setup ready to plug into my MPCNC for control, just haven’t gotten around to redoing the motor terminals so I can easily plug into with aviation panel mounts. Right now it is all dupont connectors and that works, but it would mean I’d have to redo a bunch of zip ties at the moment.

Interested in seeing what you might come up with.

I want to warn you. This is very far from the beaten path. You are going to have to go into the deep end and learn A LOT.

The boards Ryan sells work with Marlin (and a special version of grbl). They won’t let you control those two extra drivers with gcode, you would have to write or edit the firmware to do a C and another axis.

LinuxCNC is more like mach3. You will be able to manage what the drivers do in the program running on the computer.

1 Like