I had it working much better last night…then the computer crashed as it was uploading and I was silly enough not to save my modified settings. All is well though as I now know what I’m doing.
The step setting was off by 1-2 steps as in, by my calculations I was somewhere around 397 steps per mm (1/16th stepping) and should have been around 396-9 - I’m not sure if this is visual error on the ruler or not, but it looked like it was extruding 100-100.5mm
Once this was set, I played with the extrusion multiplier and had improvements over extruding (1.1 looked a bit better than 1.05), which seems a bit odd to me.
However I did notice that I was getting slight curling on one corner of the 20mm calibration cube which I’m putting down to too much heat. The top layer also looked under extruded.
Tonight I’ll try loosening up the belts, I did tighten them as it looked to me like I had too much slop in the belt, and the X-axis would sometimes grind and stutter in one direction before tightening. Maybe I’ve gone too far.
I’m printing at 210 degrees, I was using 220 on the esun PLA, however this is Winbo filament, which I printed the parts for the MP3DP with at 220 degrees on the Anet.
The spool is a bit of an issue, but even if I ensure there is slack in the filament the problem is still occuring.
I’ve been running the anet with lithium grease and crc on the Z-rods, so they should be in reasonable nick, I’m wondering if the Z-nut isn’t fully pressed into the X assembly, from memory it was a fairly tight fit to get them in, it might be worth disassembling it and sanding the top of the printed part flat and reaming out the inside where the nut fits so it’s not contorted in anyway.
I am loving seeing how all of this works, and again thank you both for all the help!