OLD---beta testers for some new firmware. Stock machines only please.--OLD

@ualdayan found some firmware acceleration issues in his quest to push his machine to the limit so I have made some changes.

I need some people to check this out before I make it more public, it might be a bit drastic.

The reason for the update is ultimately a faster machine.

-The X and Y axis, are limited to 195mm/s. The Z is limited to 8.7mm/s these are very close to the 32nd stepping firmware maximums of 40000 steps per second. The speeds can double if we drop to 16th stepping but I feel these are plenty fast for the average machine size.
The biggest change is the accelerations. This should allow for maximum speed in rapid moves without missing steps.
-Changed pins.h for those using the full graphic lcd, to reverse the knob direction.
-Edited the preheat temps.
-The ramps board has been changed to EFB it was EFF so PORT D10 has changed. If you have something plugged in there double check its function.

I use the scripts in Repetier to test this, I would appreciate the scripts be run a few times and then some real world use, milling or printing. I have tested the printing and there is no adverse effects of the slower accel so far.

To use the scripts just right click on the numbers in the repetier manual control screen and paste the following in spot 1 and 2. Apply, then clock on the number to run it.

1. All axis - Xand Y back and forth 100mm and the z axis up and down 9mm max.
    G91
    G0 Y100 F11400
    G1 Y-100 F11400
    G1 X100 F15000
    G1 X-100 F15000
    G1 Z9 F20000
    G1 Z-9 F522
    G1 Z1 F2000
    G1 Z-1 F2000
    G1 Z1 F2000
    G1 Z-1 F2000
    G90

2. Z torture - up and down 30mm , small rapids, repeat 3 times.
    G91
    G1 Z30 F522
    G1 Z-30 F522
    G1 Z3 F522
    G1 Z-3 522
    G1 Z1 F522
    G1 Z-1 F522
    G1 Z30 F522
    G1 Z-30 F522
    G1 Z3 F522
    G1 Z-3 522
    G1 Z1 F522
    G1 Z-1 F522
    G1 Z30 F522
    G1 Z-30 F522
    G1 Z3 F522
    G1 Z-3 522
    G1 Z1 F522
    G1 Z-1 F522
    G90

You are listening for missing steps during the scripts. Real would tests just looking for anything abnormal. In reality you should be able to bump your speeds up but Leave everything as you currently use it first. I Print at 25mm/s and was easily printing at 45mm/s after (but my parts were weak, I need to up the temps I guess).

B16_32-LCD-112515 = 32nd stepping 16 tooth pulleys 5/16" threaded rod Smart LCD
B16_32-112515 = 32nd stepping 16 tooth pulleys 5/16" threaded rod NO LCD
B16_32_fullG-112515 = 32nd stepping 16 tooth pulleys 5/16" threaded rod Full graphic LCD

I ran the scripts several times, no major slipping that i have noticed. going to update the firmware and run it now to see what it does. Have you made changes in repitier software as well? and do you have an idea of a specific test file that we can use so we can all compare results?

Thanks for trying it out.
The only place you would really notice a difference is a milled 3D part, because the lower accelerations allow for higher speeds.

Uploaded th firmware and modified some axis direction (just because i have pinned differently my motors).

I’ve changed steps as (like prusa calculator says http://prusaprinters.org/calculator/):

DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80.0, 80.0, 2560.0, 90.0} // Belt T2.5 with 16th

I’m not more confident about the third parameter, i’m trying to up Z axis to 10mm but i think him go up to 8.

However, the script go well (as you said, with the first script i notice a very hard break about the motors).

Now i will try to mill with a Dremel 3mm drill.

You should keep this info in the other thread so people with stock machines don’t try and change anything.

If I were you I would put the axis back in the firmware and just flip your ramps plugs over. Make it easier for yourself in the long run. This also might cause you to have to change all your software as well just flip the plugs.

Hi,

i’ve installed Kress machine on my CNC (1,4 weight).

Before this i have tested all with a Dremel 3000 (380g) and all was fine.

Now that i have Kress i’ve noticed that when i try to move along Y Axis, motors lose steps.

So, i’ve changed DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE from 195,195 to 188,188 and now seems to be better.

When i move the Y axis (manually with Repetier) or homing, motors do not lost steps

Turn the max speed back up and start with turning down acceleration. Only turn down max speed if your accel gets too low.

I get some belt reverberation at the max speed so, you could be right. Maybe turning it down a bit is a good idea.

Thanks for trying it out, and helping to really dial this machine in.

Mhhhh i’ve changed this from Repetierhost flaghing the firmware and now i’ve made a change on Configuration.h (nothing strange, just enabled servo) and now i’ve again the same problem, reverberation on belt belong Y axis.

Moving down the value from 195 to 188 now do not solve the problem…

i keep getting compiling error with the beta firmware?

You must be trying to compile the full graphic firmware? That needs the library added to arduino. the other 2 do not

it was user error, forgot the files for the screen in the libraries

How’s this coming along? Any new test.

I’m happy with it, I have been shipping the kits loaded with it since before I posted it. Hasn’t been much response so either it works well, or no one is updating.

Hello,

I tried the beta firmware for full graphic LCD but it doesn’t work. The screen is blinking and there is a sound like bip, bip…

I used the U8glib…

Thanks for your help.

Barlouka

Im not sure what that is. Usually the screen lights up and nothing happens, or it works. The screen should always turn on solid even if you didn’t use this firmware. Im wondering if your scrren is having issues. Try switching the cables.

EDIT: FIXED.

after installing the 8glib libraries youll be asked by arduino if you want to update, since for some reason the latest version is 1.18.1 and it is labeled 1.18.0 in the manage libraries screen, there s some issue if you update. also do not download from github, just use the bintray links on the github site. for some reason after i hit update my libraries for u8glib were corrupted. i even tried to manually unzip the github files into the arduino library with no success. after nuking all the libraries and reinstalling the bintray downloaded libraries was i finally able to compile.

tried to compile for full graphics controller keep getting this error

Arduino: 1.6.7 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

In file included from sketch\ConfigurationStore.cpp:65:0:

sketch\language.h:65:0: warning: “MACHINE_NAME” redefined [enabled by default]

#define MACHINE_NAME CUSTOM_MENDEL_NAME

^

sketch\language.h:61:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition

#define MACHINE_NAME “Mendel”

^

In file included from sketch\Marlin_main.cpp:47:0:

^

^

sketch\Marlin_main.cpp:2715:36: warning: invalid suffix on literal; C++11 requires a space between literal and identifier [-Wliteral-suffix]

LCD_MESSAGEPGM(MACHINE_NAME" "MSG_OFF".");

^

In file included from sketch\cardreader.cpp:6:0:

^

^

In file included from sketch\planner.cpp:59:0:

^

^

In file included from sketch\stepper.cpp:29:0:

^

^

In file included from sketch\ultralcd.cpp:5:0:

^

^

In file included from sketch\dogm_lcd_implementation.h:39:0,

from sketch\ultralcd.cpp:39:

sketch\dogm_font_data_marlin.h:12:25: fatal error: utility/u8g.h: No such file or directory

#include <utility/u8g.h>

^

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
Error compiling.

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
enabled in File > Preference

when did you start shipping kits with this setup? got mine a few weeks ago from you, just wondering because I am pretty happy with my speed and my machine is 32inx60in

Pretty sure I have been shipping this since November. You’re definitely running it already.

Ok cool, yeah running great!