On upgrade path: LR2 -> LR3, Clarksburg, WV, USA

@vicious1

I think I got the dust shoe remix (for 2.5" hose) done. It took a while! It’s not in me to do a job halfway. I think you’re like that too!

Here are screen shots of what I’ve modeled in the remix. If you spot any potential issues, let me know, as I am about to start printing this.

I still have not gotten to the stage of addressing the ramifications regarding the control board location in relation to the hose.

1 Like

@vicious1
Hey, just double checking about the correct license for the remixed dust shoe.

I noticed the LR3 main set and the LR3 Makita mount/dust shoe set, are not under the same license. Is that a mistake or correct? Again just double checking.

Here’s the LR3 main set license:

Creative Commons (4.0 International License)
Attribution—Noncommercial—Share Alike
:heavy_multiplication_x: | Sharing without ATTRIBUTION
:heavy_check_mark: | Remix Culture allowed
:heavy_multiplication_x: | Commercial Use
:heavy_multiplication_x: | Free Cultural Works
:heavy_multiplication_x: | Meets Open Definition

LR3 Makita mount/dust shoe set license:

Creative Commons (4.0 International License)
Attribution-ShareAlike
:heavy_multiplication_x: | Sharing without ATTRIBUTION
:heavy_check_mark: | Remix Culture allowed
:heavy_check_mark: | Commercial Use
:heavy_check_mark: | Free Cultural Works
:heavy_check_mark: | Meets Open Definition

This is the one I usually use. If I made a mistake on the makita mount I can;t change it, or at least it doesn;t matter too much.

The mount itself, you need to move the hose counterclockwise, more towards the middle. You are going to hit the YZ plate. The End of the core is 90mm from the center each way. So make sure you are not poking out more than 5-10mm past that.

1 Like

Thinking about that it is going to make getting to tool changes a bit harder. You might be better making a printable 1.5" lower section that turns to 2.5" above the router.

2 Likes

@vicious1
Got it! Thank you!

Important update regarding the remixed dust shoe:

At first, Ryan was concerned the remix might be too wide, but I sent him a quick video showing it —printed and in place on the core — and he replied, “Perfect! … Good job.”

So it seems quite OK to move ahead with using it.

Accordingly, I’ve posted it on Printables using the same license Ryan uses for the LR3 main set.

https://www.printables.com/model/212623-lowrider-3-cnc-makita-700-series-mount-removable-d

Click here to DOWNLOAD LowRider 3 CNC Makita 700 series REMIXED Mount and Removable Dust Shoe FOR 2.5" VAC HOSE

FAQ from Printables download page:

Q: Did the Tool Mount “ring” get changed from the original?
A: Yes. All three parts underwent changes in the remix. If you look closely at the Tool Mount, you will see that (1) the portion that the hose zip ties to, is protruding from a different position on the ring, (2) the protrusion has a little “cut out” to make sure you can still get a tool into the left side screw for attaching the mount, and (3) the curvature of the protrusion is edited to fit the larger diameter of the 2.5" hose.

Q: Do I still need to print two of the Tool Mount “rings” like with Ryan’s V1 original?
A: Yes. As mentioned above, quoting Ryan, “Two Tool mount prints, one of each Top and Lower.”

Q: What inside diameter (ID) is the opening (hose port)? What outside diameter (OD) of hose end will fit?
A: The opening (hose port) is 62mm (ID). My Vacmaster shop vac hose (nominally 2.5") is approximately 61.75mm and fits perfectly. The actual conversion of 2.5" to millimeters is 63.5mm. Actual dimensions of hoses vary by brand. Measure yours first to know for sure. You may need to remix this to make it fit your hose, or design an adapter for it.

5 Likes

Quick heads up:
There is a really cool feature courtesy of Ryan, provided via Fusion 360 functionality, to download the CAD files for the mount / dust shoe, on the site at: LowRider CNC V3 - V1 Engineering Documentation

…However, be aware that Autodesk (Fusion 360) provides a low-res version there (for downloading it in other formats, such as for SketchUp). By this I mean lower resolution, as compared to just converting the printable models from Ryan’s Printables.com page — and presumably lower than opening and editing in Fusion 360 itself.

Although Fusion 360 is free for personal use (in a download and install version), I am nevertheless barred from accessing files saved in versions newer than my Fusion 360 install, because mine is a 2020 version of Fusion 360, and I cannot update it without also updating my MacOS, which I choose not to do as it would render unusable a lot of expensive software I have rights to. By contrast, if I can get access to their online portal of Fusion 360, I could presumably get at the higher resolution and avoid the existing issues.

Below are comparison images showing the resolution of the 3mf file downloaded from Printables.com versus the low-res file for SketchUp downloaded from the Fusion 360 share option:

3mf file downloaded from Printables.com:

Fusion 360 share option - SketchUp download file:

1 Like

Awesome!

I was hoping to find a bigger vac hose mount… i have a dust collector in my shop that has a nice 2.5” hose I use for sanding and on the router table. This remix will be perfect for hooking up the LR3

Appreciate the work! Ok if I download and
Use it?

The actual upper mount ring hasn’t changed, and I need 2 of them, correct? I already started printing those from Ryan’s original files.

Thanks!

Absolutely.

Actually, all three parts underwent changes in the remix. If you look closely at the Tool Mount, you will see that (1) the portion that the hose zip ties to, is protruding from a different position on the ring, (2) the protrusion has a little “cut out” to make sure you can still get a tool into the left side screw for attaching the mount, and (3) the curvature of the protrusion is edited to fit the larger diameter of the 2.5" hose.

When I said it took me a long time of work to create this remix, it’s no joke. Astounding how much changing “one little thing” affects so many other aspects.

2 Likes

Yes, as before, you need two of the Tool Mounts. If you already printed them from Ryan’s and you want to use this, you may be able to bend the hose path a bit to try to use your already printed ones. Worst case, you have to reprint, and at least you won’t be out a lot of plastic as it’s not a big mass part.

1 Like

Luck has it we got a power cut, so my mounts were toast 11 minutes in. I’ll print the version in your remix. Thanks for the info!

I hear you. :+1:

I bought a sheet of 1/8" hardboard for the LR3 strut. Got it cut with LR2. Tear out is ridiculous when cutting hardboard!

Strut cut and cleaned up (or what passes for cleaning it up) and painting in progress on strut and YZ plates:

5 Likes

Story of my life!

Shoot for me, I don’t think I even sanded the edges or mine. Cut flawlessly, maybe a dull bit?

You are right there, I will try to keep up with your build schedule on the instructions. Or at least get the important stuff up ASAP.

2 Likes

Ran out of black, so I used the last of my regular blue, and krypton fusioned them to my liking.

Looks pretty good!

Printing the actual hose shoe once my gray comes in.

3 Likes

Could be! I should have pulled out a new bit. Will try that sometime soon on new LR3 and report back. I can’t try it now with the old LR2, as it has been dismantled.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve been referencing the photos in the assembly section and noticing the lack of descriptive text. That would probably help a lot. Little details like what size of bolt and nylock nut go in these holes etc. Because of having built the previous version I’ve been able to sleuth things out this far, but I am only to the point of starting on attaching hardware to the core.

1 Like

@Neilp
Thanks for the pics of your make! Send more when you can. It’s always gratifying to see someone else benefiting by using the fruit of one’s design remix work.

1 Like

Printing the show tonight if my filament arrives- will update once done.

Does 2.5” hose just friction fit right in there?

1 Like

Yes it does for me. Hopefully it will for you. I will measure the exact dimensions of it when I get home and post it for you. I know that it fits the 2 1/2” hose of a Vacmaster shop vac. I will show both the dimensions of the hose and the dimensions of the inlet port and you can take measurements and see if your device will fit. If you need a slightly tweaked version we can work to help make that happen.

1 Like