Ongoing Cutting Dimension Problem D:

Haha I mostly started going straight to aluminum too. I have too privileged of a background in metalworking coming into something like this. Waterjets, manual mills, laser, Haas mills, etc lol. I’ve been looking at your thread as it’s been updated (I should probably subscribe to that lol), very cool that you have a part that people want to get ahold of. I’m not very creative myself so almost every time I wanted to try aluminum again I was always stuck on what to cut lol.

You might want to try Carbide bits for your CF. And they’ll only be good for a part or two. If your bits are low quality they will dull the instant it touches the carbon. Carbon is nasty stuff and can be a really pain to work with.

Carbide is what we use to drill carbon parts on airplanes. I can do about 20-25 holes with a double flute bit. Granted, I’m not CNCing any of this, but I’d still go with carbide if it where me.

He did use carbide. Infact, he took it a step further to use one of those coated cutters suited for abrasive CFRP.

Yeah I don’t even bother with HSS endmills for anything and had purchased PCD coated ones made especially for CF.