Online Shopping for the Hobbyist

I am not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere in the forums yet, although I feel as though it probably has, but if you haven’t gone to McMaster-Carr website yet then you may want to do that.

They have pretty much anything I have ever wanted from screws/bolts/nuts to aluminum extrusions, pulleys, linear rails and tons of other stuff that you can get lost in.

I did a search just now on the forums here and found some instances where it has been referenced. Thought I would bring it up again for those who find it difficult to find hardware locally or online. Serves both the metric and imperial worlds in most cases.

4 Likes

I don’t buy from McMaster as much as I used to because I work for a competitor and often get better pricing but McMaster’s CAD files are outstanding. I use them all the time, even if it’s just a nut or bolt. So much easier than drawing from scratch.

2 Likes

Is this competitor worth knowing about?

1 Like

Travers tools is my other option. With MSC a close third.

MMC is great, but whenever I check they are way more expensive. I have no problem buying stuff there for work (because I charge by the hour there) but I will spend a lot of time at home trying to save a buck.

1 Like

I just want a catalog because then I will finally be cool.

It’s much more sexy than Machinery’s Handbook.

3 Likes

Checked them out real quick, looks like they have awesome stuff. Checked out their setup blocks, saw the price, fainted but am feeling better now that I’ve recovered.

1 Like
2 Likes

RS components https://uk.rs-online.com/web/
is the UK equivalent. Expensive but reliable next day delivery.

1 Like

You can even print some of them…you know…for fitment… :smirk:

That might have happened once or twice. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m guessing you already know about them. Starts with a “G” and ends in “rainger”.

3 Likes

Yeah, they’re both in the enormous catalog business :laughing:
Add the Element14 catalog and that takes up about a foot of shelf space.

I have always struggled with their online store, but MMC they figured it out for their site. I also print “test fitments” all the time :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: