Ontario Lowrider build 48x96

Hi, I finally built the kit I ordered, currently using it to flatten a spare walnut block I have lying around.
So next one is trying to figure out which software to invest on, currently evaluating ESTLCam and Meshcam.

3 Likes

Welcome to the funhouse! I think you’ll find the most experience and help around here with ESTLCam, but we encourage you to find what works best for you.

If you haven’t already, take some time to poke around the forums, maybe have a little talk with @discobot to get the low-down on the forums, and generally enjoy your time here! We’re here to help, mostly. Sometimes things go a bit off the rails, but it’s usually with decent(ish) intentions. :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

1 Like

We’ll I’m really impressed with what I can do with the LRv2, This is the first time I ever tried CNC, most of my hobby work is using table saws/planers/joiners and hand routers.

I download this file in Thingiverse for testing (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3112825). I scaled it to 50% to fit the scratch plywood I used for the yplate, and used a 1/32" tapered ball end. It ran really long… (10 hours 29 minutes) but it’s a good test that the motors/router can handle long runs. No roughing pass, just direct to finish.

Now I need to learn more about that roughing step and try to speed up the work.

7 Likes

Wow!

This time carved a 13" image on a block of walnut. Really loving the lowrider. I had to replace the XY pieces, I over tighten and saw some cracks.

4 Likes

Can you do me a favor? Can you post this in the things made section in its own post? It is awesome.

3 Likes

Looks great! Just ordered my parts kit yesterday! Also from Ontario, My lowrider will be starting out smaller than yours (24 x 36). Your build has given me a tremendous amount of encouragement!

1 Like