Other spindles?

What other good spindles are there that i could use to build this cnc other than the one linked in the parts page?

You might want to link some options you have available in your part of the world that you think are viable. That will give a good starting point for some localized advice.

i was thinking of getting them online, not in store

I live in the USA

The dewalt is well over powered, comes with a warranty, and it tough enough for contractors to throw on the back of their pickup. You would have a hard time finding a better option if it is available where you live (and it is, bc your are in the US).

The DeWalt 660 seems to be pretty reliable from all the use from previous MPCNCs. Also, there aren’t many options that are as light, strong, and with little runout as this one. Plus it is inexpensive.

I have been looking at the Makita RT0701C 1-1/4 HP Compact Router. You’d have to check out collet options though. It’s more expensive than the DeWalt 660 but weighs about the same. Right now I have an old Craftsman trim router that works fine, but I don’t know how long it will last.

Check with @EdNiedziejko about his. He did a good post about a tool mount for it.

what about this spindle linked in one of the pages, is it not as good as the dewalt router?
https://www.amazon.com/Konmison-Cooled-Spindle-Clamps-Converter/dp/B0154MW4E8/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1469560765&sr=1-1&keywords=500w+spindle&linkCode=sl1&tag=vicicn-20&linkId=af80e95e8f739a6ee5817fb9ca9e1666

IMO, no.

could you elaborate on that? What makes one better/worse than the other?

Here’s my experience:

I started with the Dewalt router.

I swapped it with a 500w spindle. The spindle was quieter, but cut slower. In the end, I had an issue with the spindle overheating and burning up after a few months. The variable speed was nice, but I found I mostly ran it at full speed. I also had problems with the smooth sided spindle rotating inside the tool mounts I 3d printed. When it would rotate far enough, the power cables would rub on the spinning fan at the top and short out the wires.

I went back to the Dewalt router. Most shop vacs are just as loud as the router is and the big noise comes from the material being cut, so having a quieter spindle didn’t matter.

The Dewalt is roughly 600W and has better cooling.

1 Like

For starters it’s more expensive, less powerful, and doesn’t come with a power cord. I didn’t see anything about a warranty. Lower rpm range might be better for things like acrylic, but that’s not a hard problem to solve with the dewalt.

Yeah, sorry. I guess I was in a mood when I wrote that…

To echo others, the dewalt is noisy, but that won’t matter when you add in the other parts of the system (namely, the shop vac and the bit cutting).

The dewalt has a big advantage of being made for rough work, and has the economy of scale. That is why it is tougher, cheaper, and comes with a warranty. There have also been a some spindle issues. Too much runout, or wobbling under load, or poor mounting options (despite it seeming to be easier to mount rigidly). The dewalt isn’t just used on the MPCNC either, I have seen mounts for other CNCs. It is a good package, for a good price. There are other options, but they are all usually inferior, or twice the price, or not available in the US.

Is there a reason you are looking for an alternative?

1 Like

I’ll bite, since I have a spindle really close to that one. It’s quiet, but that’s all it has going for it. It’s just a dc motor with a collet holder bolted to the shaft. This adds some runout, but also adds a crap ton of lever action to the end of the spindle. You’ll get better cuts with the dewalt just because the collet it closer to the motor, and mounting clamps.

2 Likes

No i was just looking at alternatives that may be better or less expensive
Thanks for the replies, it looks like ill be getting the dewalt spindle.

At least start with it. You can upgrade later if needed.

Exactly the same thing happened to me with that Chinese spindle. It stalled when the wires tangled in the fan and melted the fan even though I turned it off in 5 seconds. Prior to that highlight it always ran way too hot at full power. Also it’s not what I would call 500W at all - more like 300W of rotational energy and 100W of heat energy. You have the choice of running it either hopelessly underpowered around 200W or dangerously hot, constantly threatening to melt the ABS mounts. But spindles are quiet and for that I will buy another better one than that “500W” cheapy.