Paradox Pete's Things

That is a gorgeous chair!

I totally agree about putting $150 material on a $35 frame. You know it will look pro. It’s still cheap for a sick custom piece of furniture. But WHY is the cloth so expensive?!

I walked into Fabric Land with my mom once and was in awe of the huge selection of cool patterns and types of materials on big rolls just BEGGING to be put to use in cool projects. Then I saw the prices. :frowning_face:

I’m waaaay too cheap for that.

I think you should give it a go on at least one prototype though if you’re considering doing a living room set. I can’t picture it in my head, because I really like the way it looks now. I do know that the results of a quick upholstery job can be pretty mind blowing, and you may suddenly decide that it’s worth the extra cost. :thinking:

Epic share. Thank you for including a license, and all the instructions and designs. I hope anyone who makes one shares some pictures/thoughts. Thank you, Pete!

Adding the footstool.

Footstool.zip (24.3 KB)

Here’s a picture to illustrate the assembly.

There are no “mirrored” parts in this one, because everything is symmetrical so no need for it.

2 each are needed of the Side and Rail parts, and 4 of the Legs

The tabs protrude through the sides about 3mm by design.

This is designed for 12mm material, and like the chair will need to be scaled appropriately if made with material of different thickness.

Same License as the chair.

Have at it. 8^)

2 Likes

So…when I said it seemed foolish to spend so much on foam and fabric for a $35 chair, I had actually already committed to such foolishness. 8^)

UPS dropped off a bunch of foam and fabric yesterday.

Unfortunately, my plan was to use a friends commercial sewing machine to sew up the cushions, and with social distancing, spending hours at a friends house sewing is not in the cards. Perhaps he’ll let me borrow the machine, but it may be some time before I get the cushions made.

This might be a good opportunity to note that the chair is going to need a seat cushion that’s about 6" thick. 2"-3" would probably be about right for the seat back cushion.

I’m planning loose cushions that can be easily removed or flipped over, but there are other possible approaches to the upholstery.

3 Likes

Time for another edition of Paradox Pete’s occasional updates…

Among my recent projects is an enclosure for my Rostock Max 3d printer, enabling me to get it off the floor in a spare bedroom, and onto a bench in the shop (garage). It doesn’t hold a candle to @stevolution’s Rostock envlosure, but it serves the purpose.

Steve and others have commented on the Rostock being temperamental, but I haven’t had that experience. I think mine is a later model (v3.2ish, I think), and it just works. I don’t do anything with it except change filament on occasion and clean the print bed. I’m very pleased with it.

My other recent project is a combination coat tree / floor lamp.

There isn’t a coat closet convenient to my front door, and I tend to just toss jackets and such on the nearest chair, so a proper place for them seemed like a good idea. I added a torchiere like light as the area could use some extra light, and shelves to put hats and gloves, dog leashes, wallet and keys etc.

With about 29 interlocking pieces, it’s a more involved assembly than my previous efforts, and the tapering design added a little challenge as well, but it all came together OK. It isn’t quite finished. There are holes in the legs by 2 of the shelves where I intend to string leather cord supporting panels to enclose the shelves producing a sort of basket area. I haven’t decided if I want to make the panels from wood or fabric/leather…

9 Likes

Nice enclosure!! But I like the clothes rack project better -:slight_smile:
But…I Know…Always a But… the

I’m not quite sure you will be able to take it back to the shop to finish it… :sweat_smile: :crazy_face:
Really nice work!
Thank you for sharing

Gustavo

1 Like

Thanks for the files! I’ve been using a tubberware container for a footstool and it’s not what busy people would call fine furniture (it does the job well though). Got my lowrider running decently and this was the first longer project. Went together perfect after chiseling out my forgotten over cuts.

Looks way better now!

4 Likes