Parallel vs Series

I tried looking for something with the exact thing I’m experiencing but couldn’t find exactly that, so here goes:

I’m currently wired in parallel. It was easier at the time and I can be impatient (god knows how I managed to print over 100 hours of parts :P). I’m now wondering if series would be better. I’ve been using Estlcam and it seems to always be running the steppers at the max current set on the drivers. Because of this, if I have it set at ~0.7, each driver gets pretty hot, even when just idling (and yes, they make the buzzing noise). I want to say I measured it at 150F max but it also quickly starts to smell like burnt electronics. I don’t know what the max temp is on these, and I’d rather not find out the hard way. I can sort of solve this by lowering the current to the drivers, also eliminating some buzzing, but I feel like this is costing me much needed power. Had too many crashes at reasonably low speeds while doing aluminum (and attempted carbon fiber) and I had solved this once by adding back more power.

So my thoughts are that if I’m currently using .75 on the drivers with parallel, I’m getting the same amount of motor power I’d be getting in series with the drivers set to .375? Maybe I’m just not getting the picture lol.

What drivers do you have, do you have a fan on them? You have also never said if you have skipped any steps, why not just turn down your drivers? We used to run this on half the size steppers with even less power out of the drivers. Stepper power has never been an issue. The only reason I use such large steppers is the price, they are the same price as the small ones. Most printers want light small steppers so these big ones are cheaper.

I have never had an issue with the 8825’s at 0.7V with no fan. Yes you should switch to series, loads of power and if you need to you can turn down the drivers.

I’m also using the 8825’s (with the heatsink of course) and no fan. A fan was actually what I was about to add before I thought of it being because of my wiring. Using 16th microstepping, and the only times it seems to skip is when my program ends up crashing, bit comes out, you know the 9. Otherwise the only thing comparable to any skipping is that there are a few spots along the rails where it audibly makes a “rough” sound, like in the video I’ll link below. It does this on both X and Y but I always figured it mostly had to do with a combination of my belt tension and the rail not being perfect in that spot. It does it less noticeably on lower power, and more noticeable on higher power. Also worth noting it does it over a broader area if I move both X and Y at the same time, so I’m assuming that’s involved somewhere in the power train too then…

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7leRlH-TcbyNGxiQU8xak9aa1k/view

You’ll be seeing an order of that wiring harness shortly though :stuck_out_tongue:

Make sure your rollers are loose, I’m not really hearing anything too out of the ordinary though.