Parallelism of the feet for an edge guide

With my LR2 still in purgatory, I find myself faced with the prospect of having to use the MPCNC on oversized material and indexing the work to be done. I know I know, just finish the darn LR and it won’t be a problem but…
I am curious if I can use the feet as a reference to screw down a 1 x to use as an edge guide along one axis like:

I assume it would be much, much better to put down a larger piece and have the MPCNC run a straight line along one axis, but this is easier and I tend to be lazy.

Just wondering if I am being foolish and lazy or ? - Gee this should have been a poll :slight_smile:

My fence/edge is a paint stir stick, it’s very fancy. Just screw it down slightly overlapping your cut area then make a through cut to trim it perfectly flush with your work area.

Wow, simple, cheap, crude but oh-so effective. Thanks, I like it! There are times that I would want the guide to be outside the work area, I suppose I can figure out a plan B for that. Off to the store for paint sticks!

Yep that’s what my wife says about me too.

I just use the machine limits to define my fence reference so it never changes unless I use a different bit.

You could make a slotted board with 2 slots perpendicular to the workpiece. Use it like a router fence slide it close, lock it down and trim each time like above. You could get a bunch of cuts by sacrificing a 1/4 inch each time then tossing it when it gets used up.

And if you need more length there’s always yardsticks, basically the same material but longer.

My feet stand on a bit of a rail. I made a fence from some cheap particle board that sits against that rail by ripping it on a tablesaw.

The paint sticks are cheaper, and if you trim them with the CNC, they’re guaranteed true to your axes. Advantages…

For indexing though, pins in the spoilboard are probably better. You can program each part of the cut to put a couple of dowel sized holes at regular intervals, then move the material down to the next set of holes, and have a very good alignment in both axes.