Parts metal (steel)

Hello friends. I made parts 611 plate 2 and Y plate (25) from metal (steel).
The weight of 611 plate 2 was two kg.
The weight of one Y plate (25) was 2.5 kg.
Question. Will the standard type stepper motors run normally?

1 Like

Ryan has some video of his lowrider pushing up a couple 5 pounds weights (or was it a couple tens?) with the router and everything set up. The motors can do it, keep an eye out for skipped steps just in case…remedy by turning down the acceleration.
Might see slightly faster wear on the brass nuts, but I doubt it would be measurable.

2 Likes

Tony, thanks for your answer. I saw this video.
I am very concerned about skipping steps and the life of the motors.

I wouldn’t be worried about either. Just keep a couple extra brass nuts handy and check them for play or looseness every couple weeks.
Lube the screws up and run the z up and down, see how fast you can go before you get issues.
You already have the plate. Worst case, you can use it to cut out another from aluminum using slow movements on the z, but I think it’ll be just fine.

4 Likes

Tony, your advice has been very helpful to me. I will experiment, try to post a video with my finished lowrider.

3 Likes

Can’t wait!

Having run a lowrider for awhile I would strongly suggest making the plates out of mdf or aluminum. All that weight will limit your speeds.

2 Likes

Eric Koch, thanks for the answer.
What thickness of aluminum would you recommend for both boards for ideal rigidity and weight?

If I were to make them from aluminum I would do a 1/4" 611 plate and 3/8" for the Y plates.