Pause from LCD

So I am doing a test run and went to pause the job. When I select pause and push the knob in it says pause print on the screen but gives no confirmation options like cancel does. It does not pause and after about 30 seconds it goes back to the main screen and I am not able to access the menu any longer.

Are the steppers moving?

If you take to long to get back to it you will need to go through the menu and hit resume.

I had the exact same problem with my lowrider today.
I tried to pause but it continued on it’s merry way and I couldn’t get the screen off of the initial “info” screen you see at startup.
I did notice that at the lower left of the info screen it displayed “print paused”. After a while, I was able to navigate the screens again, but never could get it to pause. Had to strategically kill power to the spindle and the machine during a change of direction.
Anyone have a fix for this?

The pause can be deceiving. It will stop reading new commands off the sd card, but it may have the next few moves loaded up already. Those are going to be lost if it doesn’t do them, so it finished those out. If you’re cutting a box, the next 3 lines in the gcode might be 3 sides of a box.

The same is true for feedrate. You can adjust it on the screen, and it will take a few moves to adjust on the machine. It’s NBD on a printer, there each move is 1mm long, but on a CNC, it ends up being pretty annoying.

If you are truly trying to pause, like for a bio break, then I would try it out on some air cuts, maybe the test crown, which has a lot of tiny moves. If that doesn’t pause, then it is a problem in the software. If it does, then you know it may take a few moves.

If you were trying to pause because you were trying to estop, then next time put the machine and the router on a power strip and reset them both. It sucks to do, but if it is an emergency, then cut the power.

Thank you, Jeff.
That makes sense given the job I was doing.
I was surfacing a new spoil board that was a full 48 inches wide, so even though the commands were few, it spent a very long time executing them.

2 Likes