Pi Cnc.js

Nothing really in there that even really attempts a wifi connection as far as I know.

I just SSHd in to the box on a physical nic to run this.

Actually toward the end there it’s showing a connection IP=10.3.141.1, and adding a default route to 10.3.141.0.

earlier it’s also showing “AP-ENABLED” are you running the access point version of v1pi?

when you say physical nic you mean a wired connection?

yes i mean wired.
Apparenlty I am running the hot spot version…maybe I DL it before i knew the difference :slight_smile:

Pete, you get two gold stars :star: :star:!

Nice catch.

I cant confirm or deny that it works now haha

1 Like

As an American, I can tell you that that qualifies it as an unmitigated, total victory!

How far is your pi from the wifi router? Can you move them closer, even if temporarily to see if it’s an issue with range? I am thinking “carrier lost” could be due to sognal strength.

Aww Shucks. :blush:

I’m glad I could help. Hopefully it keeps working. It looked like it had been initiating a connection, and then dropping it. Might have just been a poor signal, or interference or something. I think it would switch to AP mode when it couldn’t establish a connection, so it wouldn’t keep trying.

A good refresher for me too. Most everything “Just Works” on Linux now, so I rarely need to look in the logs to figure out why it’s not. That’s why I wanted to check on one of my own Pi’s before trying to help.

Also, a reminder to consider the audience. To me

MEANS

cat /var/log/syslog | grep wlan0

but I expect most people using pi’s are coming from a Windows background and might try using a text editor to “look” for wlan0. Using nano to page through the logs searching would SUCK…8^)

@jeffeb3 do you have a guide somewhere for the picnc? Im just really getting going with it (havent done anything except basic move commands yet).
Im seeing that X Y are fine, but Z moves way too fast and misses steps. So im trying to locate where I can slow that feed rate down… Perhaps im missing it. There are SOOOOO many windows and numbers and stuff its pretty overwhelming…
do you have a “Click this for Ryan Mode?” Ryan being me haha

No, I really don’t. CNC.js uses G0 commands without speeds attached to travel, which has been known to cause problems. I am not sure there is a good way to make it change its behavior. I just play with it myself. I know it looks like a lot, but it is flat. What I mean is that there isn’t any more controls hidden somewhere, so once you see what this top stuff does, you understand the whole thing.

You can slow down the Z for all cases by sending M203 Z10 in the console. That will be forgotten after a reset of the controller unless you save it with M500.

Maybe there is some use to adding some basic instructions. I’ll think about it.

1 Like

I actually went through and just minimized all of the widgets I dont need… and it got much simpler…
Everything is pretty straight forward. I just need some more time with it I guess.
If I would like anything (and in no way am I saying change it) id love a box just to enter gcode. The terminal (when using the browser on say an ipad) isnt the easiest to get around.
I have some time tomorrow to play with it… perhaps ill dial it in :slight_smile: thanks for making this.

1 Like

I just setup v1pi. It’s very cool, thanks Jeff.

I can access the URL just fine on a computer but it doesn’t seem to work on tablets or mobile devices for some reason. Any ideas why? Also the server crashed sometimes. I’m running it on a raspberry pi 4. Has anyone else experienced this?

You’re trying to access via the URL? I find android devices will usually fail to resolve .local domains. I assume that’s a security “feature”. You may need to look up the IP address (via your router) and use that.

1 Like

I have always used the IP address directly and never had an issue. I configured my router to always assign the same IP based on MAC address, so I can bookmark the local IP. I find this to be much nicer than configuring a static IP on the Pi itself which takes extra work and doesn’t survive a reflash.

Agreed, this will always work.

I find the .local domain more convenient, but it is not universally supported.

The v1pi advertises itself as v1pi.local, and should be accessible via that url.

I expect there are some network engineer types here who know more than I, but

I think it is technically called mDNS and was originated at Apple, whose implementation is called Bonjour. It also well supported in Linux where the implementation is called Avahi. I have no idea how well (or if) it is supported on Windows.

In my experience android devices won’t resolve .local domains. I think Google may force all DNS queries to their own servers, which “breaks” the .local system.

2 Likes

Thanks Pete and Jamie. Using the IP address works.

The server keeps crashing on me still. Any idea how to start troubleshooting that? How do I access the log files?

You may try it without the .local. Your router may put the hostname in its dns.

What kind of crashes?

Ahh, @jeffeb3 to the rescue.

I think the relevant web server logs are in /var/log/daemon.log

It looks like “landingpage” is the underlying web server and cncjs and octopi daemons have their own entries.

1 Like

Yeah. There is a systemctl call too… Im AFK, I think it is

sudo systemctl cncjs logs

1 Like