Plasma rebuild, new design again

Yeah, that was some time in early 2015 I think… Had no idea that was the first kit u sent out… That’s cool, I’m sure one way or another u would have done the same thing! I have definitely built a number of your machines…

7 Likes

That’s so cool guys!! And look how far he’s come!!! Both of you! Totally envious of that Plasma CNC! That thing can scoot, too!!!

1 Like

SO… DarZidE, you should make kits for this!!! :slight_smile: how about that? I’d buy it. You and Ryan can join forces. And I’m sure Ryan wants one (he doesn’t need, he WANTS it - same here BTW!) About how many bucks would I have to invest to get this setup rolling? ballpark it. I’m sure it’s WAY less than my Jeep guy forked out for his!

1 Like

I would buy a kit too! Hit me up!

That double Y plate idea is brilliant. I will be trying that idea soon to stiffen up my plates.

How do you all convince your spouses to let you have these toys?

1 Like

Simple. " Oh, if I had a CNC router table I could cut that baby sign for you so easily" and “this stuff on Etsy is ridiculously expensive, I can just make it for you in the CNC” also, " this CNC router would be a good bonding experience for both of us and will help us learn to communicate better"

It probably also helps that we are both engineers :slight_smile: hahaha

3 Likes

Awesome build darxide, looks like you’ve got through a whole lotta cutting with it. I’m built a lowrider as a cnc router and am about to start a separate new build for a plasma cutter. I’ve decided to definitely use linuxcnc and have bought my Mesa board and THCAD and now need to make some table design and hardware decisions.

Any advice on NEMA23 vs 17 or any things you would do differently if starting from scratch?

Yes, next time I’m going to turn grooved wheels on the lathe and use an angle or something to run along to get away from the rubber wheels, nothing has broken or went wrong since my last rebuild though.

I like the double Y plate design, looks very rigid. Does the Y axis belt run under the box section of your y axis?

Just an update on this, although a few more things have been planned I have yet to do them as everything works so well now. No more broken parts at all other then the x roller I have printed at 15% infill. Happy I went to 1.25 x tunes but 1.5 would be even better, and yes the belts run on the bottom side of the y HSS. I did this to protect them as the lightest sheets I load are 175lbs and up to 1300. Snipped a belt or 2 before

2 Likes