Plasma tech discussion

How did your plasma set up turn out? Any issues with the HF start? Anything you would change?

It turned out surprisingly well. I don’t have any pics or videos to post at the moment, but there are really only one or two things that I’d change.

I ended up not building an all metal table, and I wish I had done that, plasma or not.

I ended up just doing the wire from the tip to the ground cable on the welder. It took less time than building cases and shielding everything. From my understanding, this is essentially a pilot arc setup without the current sensor to open the circuit from the wire after the plasma has connected to the work piece. Don’t forget that even though you are hopefully eliminating the HF start problem, an electric arc from a plasma cutter or welder will cause certain levels of disturbance that may or may not also cause you problems. In my case, it didn’t.

I also had a heck of a time getting feed rates and amperage settings dialed in with such a cheapo plasma machine (consumables wear out fast, best cuts with fresh tips and electrodes, plus after a few cuts on a piece, hot metal cuts better) and no THC. If I had the programming smarts, I’d like to build a THC unit. But my time for hobby projects is limited and I don’t use the MPCNC for plasma much anyway because I have access to a significantly more expensive unit at work.

Other than the crappy plasma cutter, I’m happy with it. I made the spoil board removable and have plasma slats under it to hold it up. If there is buildup on the slats after cutting, I just use a grinder to clean it up and replace the spoil board for milling.

Nutshell:
-It cuts better than anything at this price range ever should.
-Things I would change are just me being particular.
-Spend more time figuring settings and feed rates for different materials… and write them down lol

You should look up how to make your gcode paths work in your favor. Plasma swirls, so going clockwise on outside cuts and anti-clockwise on inside cuts makes a better cut, leading in on cuts to avoid the corner dots and starting holes… Just read Here and you’ll understand more than most people in my shop lol

1 Like

So did any details or pics of this project make it online? I am looking to build this very thing

I used a lotos ltp5000, along with estlcam for writing the gcode. No issues with interference/noise EXCEPT if the torch head was firing off of the sheet of steel. This was using a tinyg controller- never tried it with ramps. I used a custom gcode command under the laser tab, to turn torch off and on. I purchased a cnc-machine torch from ebay on the lotos. Took the torch head apart, and it was a very easy install. I had previously contacted lotos, and they told me there was no machine upgrade, but it just required a bit of diy and a gamble on buying parts from China.

As far as the electronics for getting the torch to fire when you want, it requires a solid state relay. Which one you need depends on the controller you are using. Basically use the M05 M03 to turn spindle on or off, connect that pin to on side of the relay, and the other side to the plasma cutter wires going to the torch switch.

I ended up doing a lot of research, and turned out a couple projects even, but have put this on the back burner temporarily. The MPCNC led me to purchase an openbuilds ox, which has now been upgraded to an smw3d.com R7,ball screws, 1500mm x 1000mm, cuts 1/4" aluminum like butter! I can help out more if you have questions, it does take awhile to figure out.

Mpcncs big brother

Here is link of the ox with plasma. Lots of great info on the Google plus groups. Recommended groups: openbuilds, ox cnc, r7, diy cnc

I’m going to be starting on mine soon - LTP5000D based. I’m going to design a frame that will allow me to swap in either a vacuum plenum for routing or a open-air cutting grid for plasma. 4x4.

g.

For those that have setup a Lotos plasma torch to use with a CNC table, it looks like the switch is easy enough to wire using a relay and the 5v on/off on my BOB, but I also looking to install a Proma 150 HD THC. Has anyone setup THC with this machine and what is the best way to tie into the torch voltage?

Any help or advice is much appreciated!

Those of you who have been using the Lotos LTP5000D plasma, how is it cutting? I’m looking to start a LowRider specifically for plasma cutting thin steel sheets (~11ga.) for metal artwork.

I concur that the slicing bed shouldn’t be mechanized. I was considering more something that could be opened and slid down. The more I consider everything however, simply fixing it at a similar level would be fine, and have an outlined glass or aluminum top to put on for printing. These are simply thoughts however. Going on like this, I may wind up building two MPCNCs, one for cutting and processing, one for printing and vinyl plotting.