Playing with the laser

It was perfect! :grinning:

1 Like

Hi, David,

I did a test with the materials I had around the house. My ceramics are grey, but as a test I like the result. I used the same settings you used on LB.

When I can get white pottery I’ll do more tests, but this works :partying_face:

Regards
Roger

1 Like

That is really neat, Roger! Beautiful subject… beautiful result! Fantastic!

I’ve been playing with my laser a bit more as well… trying to branch out into different materials and processes. I’ve played around with jumbo craft sticks before… but decided to see what engravings on painted and “white-washed” wood (birch?) might look like. So, I did a comparison between “white-washed” (left), painted (center), and bare wood (right). Same gcode, same 2.5 watt laser…

The “white-washed” is wood wetted with paint thinner, sprayed with flat-white paint, allowed to sit for a couple of minutes, and then wiped of most paint, and allowed to dry… ala @Bulldog :grin:

Painted is just simple light coat of flat-white paint (same as I used with the ceramic tile), allowed to dry. And, of course, bare is totally untreated, just as it comes out of the package.

The paint definitely seems to give a “grainy” look to the image.

I have light air-assist running and you can see a bit of soot above the engraving on the painted piece (center)… maybe I need to roll it with a lint roller…

That definitely helps with the contrast and “grainy-ness”… now you can even see the “whites of their eyes”.

:astonished:

– David

1 Like

Also, my grand-daughter celebrated her 15th birthday yesterday… and while we all sat around visiting (they’re just next door), somehow the subject of stereograms (“magic eye” pictures) came up. So we started looking online and found a wealth of examples and information.

I was wondering how they were made and decided to see if they could be laser engraved and still be be recognizable as stereograms. Got your “magic eye” on?

Chipboard (cereal box), Jarvis dither, 1500 mm/min, 50% power, 300 dpi, 100 mm wide.

– David

3 Likes

I got it pretty easily. Even slightly skewed and third hand… :wink:

2 Likes

You’ve made great strides, David, great work.

That’s perfectly recognizable. I had books like that as a kid, I loved them, I don’t know how I didn’t go cross-eyed as a kid :joy:

I have to try the white-washed technique, I like the result.

1 Like

I can see it. I saw someone post some monospace font the other day that worked too. It was pretty slick.

the mpcnc jeff the mpcnc jeff the mpcnc jeff the mpcnc jeff
nice blamo ben nice blamo be nice nblamo be nice nblamo be
 work green her work green he work rgreen he work rgreen he
  david two from david two fro david mtwo fro david mtwo fro
low rider 1cnc low rider 1cnc low rider 1cnc low rider 1cnc

It sort of works here… I must be missing a trick or two.

6 Likes

I see it! Thanks for the kind words, Jeff. I’d never seen one like this…

1 Like

Amazing ! :grinning:

1 Like

Coolio! I had to shrink it a little on my monitor to get the spacing right, but that’s pretty cool!

Once I got it, I was able to see it full-sized.

1 Like

I found another one of those, Jeff. Pretty neat!

I think I might have a revolt on my hands, though. Meeting I wasn’t invited to… apparently some dissatisfaction with “too much reading”… even the pictures now have too many words…

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

I used to love those magic eye pictures when I was younger. I’ve never seen the text based ones, though. That’s really cool. And yours worked great, Jeff.

2 Likes

Luckily, they are just meeting. I doubt anything productive will come from it.

1 Like

Unearthed in my yard – just today – a “genuine fake” piece of broken aztec pottery with “genuine fake” aztec calendar…

Vector engraved on ceramic tile (2.5 watt laser, 1200 mm/min, 100% power, 70mm diameter)…

painted surface just after engraving…

tools of the trade (Thanks again, @Bulldog!)…

Poor paint removal job (need to get more thinner) and 200mm chipboard version…

– David

6 Likes

Hmm… I want a laser… humm…

1 Like

Those Aztecs were very skilled with their lasers. Or maybe it’s an ancient artifact from even longer ago (and farther away).

3 Likes

Ummmm…it doesn’t work with black paint…it just burns the paint off so you end up with a negative…P6260021

And on ply …P6260020

must get some flat white next time I am at Brico…

3 Likes