Plexiglass engraving

I am making a backlit led sign/plaque. I would like advice on bit and and depth. I watched a few videos over the weekend. I have decided to use a v-bit because the design has some very sharp corners in the very detailed design. So if I use 1/4 inch thick acrylic, what depth is best to engrave to? Other than plexiglass, what other materials would you suggest?

Thank you

if engraving, you can use polycarbonate, but if lasering, stick to acrylic (plexi glass is a trade name of acrylic).

1 Like

I was actually doing this this past weekend. I used a .5mm depth and they turned out pretty nice. Im sure it wouldn’t be bad if you went deeper though. These are edge-lit, but I assume it translates.

3 Likes

What re you using to engrave? Bit or drag tool

.5mm diameter ball nose bit.

1 Like

That cane out really nice!

So the sign will be black, spray paint, and then the design engraved and back lit with leds. Is it better to engrave on the face of the “glass” or the back? Does it make a difference?

I am assuming the following: Painted on the back and engraved back would give a nice face but possibly have some bleeding of light, painted/engraved front would prevent any bleeding of light, but then doesn’t have clean face.

The depth will depend on what width you want.

If you use cam software to engrave, it will determine the depth for you.

Depth=(width/2)/tan(angle of vbit / 2)