Pocket inside between two circles

Hi, I need to pocket inside between two circles, I already tried to “HOLE” and “PART” but still leaves a small amount of material between the circles.
Any idea?

The ‘Hole plus Pocket’ function should do it all. ‘Part’ should normally be used for the outside of the entire piece. If you need a little more room and are using a small endmill (1/8"), you could ‘Engrave’ one of the lines with the ‘On the Line’ setting. I would do the Engrave first, then do the Hole plus Pocket function. That would make sure the entire ring is removed. If you do the Engrave after Pocket, it might not work as well. I have found 1/8" (3.18mm) bits do bend just a little while cutting.

1 Like

With HOLE does not make all the ring…

Does your bit fit inside that groove?

In general for shapes like that I would make the inside circle a part, then make the outside one a hole and then choose island. But you probably don’t neet the island if the gap is small enough. If it is smaller than your bit, there’s no way to make it fit.

1 Like

I’m just reiterating what @jeffeb3 is saying, esltcam will do this pocket operation between objects no problems, it is just a little counterintuitive in how to do mouse clicking.

First create a hole on the outer circle to cut inside the outer line, then a part on the inner circle to cut outside the inner line. Once you’ve done that, select the outer (hole) line, and click on the island button. This should leave you with a pocketed area between the two circles.

I misunderstood above. I agree with Brent. Outer Ring Hole, Inner Ring Part, then click on the Select Arrow top Left and click the outer Ring. Estlcam will probably ask you to choose which line so choose Hole, then Island in the choice box bottom right, and the whole area you want should fill in.

1 Like

Exactly what I need Thank you both.

for some reason the circles was not very round… Belts are firm and I have the dual endstop. Any idea what could have done that?

Give us some more info on the feedrate and bits etc. This ovalization is usually just due to aggressive cutting. If you wanted to test, dial back the feedrates down to 100% no problem and test it, then inch your way back up to where you were with the oval one and see.

1 Like