Possible to use any router

Hi all.

Im from Sweden, and Will start to build very soon. Are that possible to use any router, or must i have an dewalt router?, i have an similar chinese router. There is only 1 - 10 to Change speed on it, or should im modify that? How everyone do to have correct rpm with different materials?

Thanks for this Great page… I love it

Routers can get too big. You can have trouble finding collets for 3mm or 1/8in bits. The speed control on the dewalt isn’t perfect. It isn’t RPM as much as torque control. But luckily, there are a wide range of RPMs that work for most applications. As long as it isn’t too big, has a way to hold the bits, has a way to mount it, it should work.

1 Like

Excellent answer. Thank you so mutch, so everytime all mpcnc users need to work with machine, they need to set speed manually?, or use lcd display on mpcnc to set ex. 18000. Sorry for my bad english here.

/Willy

Spindle/router speed control is still a moving target for the LR and its relations. Unless you are willing to do some surgery on your router, you have to set it manually. This is normally OK for 98%+ of all jobs done on this class of machine. If you really need finer/variable control, you’re in for quite a bit of study and research, not to mention voiding the warranty on your router.

1 Like

I just set mine one the fly while cutting. I will sometimes change it if I hear it working too hard, or burning the material. There isn’t any software control of the RPM. The knob is 1-6, and you can hear it slow down as it enters the material. It’s not directly related to RPMs.

Are you talking about an MPCNC or a Low Rider? The Low Rider can mount most routers with a flat plate. The MPCNC holds the router on the side, so it will need a mount for any new router type.

1 Like

Lowrider, sorry to miss this information… 3d printer Are ready here, and I need first to build an stable table for it. 2440mm x 1220mm Are mdf here in sweden, and I hope i can build an Lowrider for just take mdf in one piece.

Thanks again all for fast replays.

1 Like