Power supply for the skr Pro 1.2

Hi All!

Six months after printing the parts I’ve finally started the build. I have everything assembled and square, I’m now working on the board. I bought the recommended SKR Pro 1.2. I have a ton of laptop power supplies around. Being in IT… I tend to collect stuff that I feel would be useful at some point (don’t we all). I have a 12v 5a PS here. I’m almost 100% positive this will work but need that last extra confidence boost to use it. Yay or nay?

Brent

1 Like

Hi Brent. It’s Brent. That’s what I used on my first build and it worked fine.

1 Like

Done. that’s what I (temporarily) used. I’ve gone to 24V now, and the 12V PSU is set up to power the laser.

1 Like

You only need a 12V 2A, so 5A is plenty.

1 Like

Hi Brent! Lol

Thanks Dan and Ryan!

For those who work in IT, it is extremely cheap and easy to obtain decomissioned HP server power supplies.
Those are extremely durable, powerfull and stable - and also easy to modify - e.g. here: HP DPS-1200FB Power Supply Hack for charging LiPos (12 V / 24 V)

Technically - resistor is not needed, simply shortcuting pins 33 and 36 by piece of wire with switch is enough.

Having 120A on 12V (using 1450W Ps) is enough for most applications. And usualy, it is for free - you can easily get those from scrap Gen 6-7 Proliants.

1 Like