Primo dust shoe

I’ve seen this discussed in a few different posts here and figured I’d throw in my rendition of the primo dust shoe.

I wanted something that would not take away from the work area so used a 1-inch hose tucked between the x-axis bearings. The shoe connects to the bottom of the z-axis tube and the brush is held on by magnets so they can be taken off for z-homing and tool changes. Some photos attached…

This is the 1st iteration so let me know if you have any recommendations/suggestions.

6 Likes

That’s nice. I’ve recently made probably the 25th iteration of my dust shoe. Most of the changes have to do with the brush material. I’ve done leather, EVA foam, shower curtain plastic sheeting. At the moment of have polyester felt. It’s a little too flexible and they get sucked up into the stream, so I widened the plate a little. I have some brush bristles from a dust brush. But transferring them from their holes in the handle to the holes in the acrylic plate is daunting. I started tying them up in bundles with thread. That got old. I need to 3D print a funnel that slides the bundles into the holes in the acrylic.

I like your boar’s bristle!

1 Like

Cut those off a paint brush. Hot glue around them before removing helped keep the mess down… that’s also where the blue painters tape comes in.

1 Like

Ha, here’s version 2… I didn’t like the shoe moving up and down with the router so I made a bracket to attach it to the Z-core. Used existing holes on the peimo core, and I used the attachment from Thingiverse that connects the vacuum to the Z rails.

3 Likes

Do you have a link to the attachment for the Z-Rails on Thingaverse?

This is the one I used. I modified it to fit my machine…

1 Like

Thanks

Victor, I really like your solution. I’m going to give it a go. I’m curious if any added equipment near the cutting head forced you to add an extension adapter for the cutting tool shank.

No need for an extension because the dust boot doesn’t move with the z-axis. Also, I made the opening in the boot wide enough for the router to go through so I can enjoy full z travel.

1 Like

I’ll also add that the suction through the Z rail tubes is not the best, I’d give it a 5 or 6 out of 10, but for me (and what I use it for) does a good enough job to justify having it.

1 Like