Primo Upgrade Medina, OH (Now with lasers!)

Looks like I have some more testing/changing to do to get really good cuts.

I went to cut an ornament and it didn’t go well. None of the cuts went all the way through and having to do 9 passes caused a lot of burning along the edges.

I took this as a sign that it is time to upgrade the laser on the machine. I’ve never been really happy with the 3.3w unit. I know a diode laser will never be as fast as a co2, but I always wanted it to etch just a little faster. We’ll see how it does with a more powerful unit.

I should probably make my own thread at this point. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

there are some good black friday deals on aliexpress

I picked this guy up.

That’s a great deal! Will this work with our MPCNCs though?

Well, why not?

Glass is from a flat bed scanner I harvested for parts. 100mm/min, 100% on the frickin’ laser beam, single pass. Did make crackling noises as it burned. I didn’t know if it would shatter or not. Guess not.

2 Likes

It’s the little spots of glass spalling off the surface you hear. The under side of the tape will have glitter on it now.

1 Like

Here’s some more glass lasering. I mirrored the cut and put the tape on the bottom of the glass. I figured that way it’s burning the tape closest to the glass first, instead of burning thorough the tape. 200mm/min, 100% power, “Fill” in Lightburn selected for the paths.

“Top” as far as work orientation is concerned.

“Bottom”

After cleaning…

Lightburn’s preview said this took 1 hour, 4 min. Apparently glass etching cream takes 5 minutes. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

All you’re using is blue tape? Did it work better burning through the tape or through the glass into the tape?

Yep, just the tape. Seems to work better through the glass rather than through the tape.

1 Like

Now I really have to try this

1 Like

So I tidied up the rig, changed my X gantry, and added some end-stops for homing, now I just keep searching my house for stuff to try lasering.

Here’s some slate tile.

100mm/min, 100% power, 1 pass. Interestingly enough, the burn is raised on the slate.

1 Like

Here’s a speeds test swatch. from 100mm/min to 2000mm/min. All at 100%, 1 pass.

First one took about 12min., last took 53sec.

“Fill” 2000mm/min, 100%, 0.1mm line interval. Took 9:35.

2 Likes

Back to the glass.

Tried some higher speeds with the glass process. Using the “Fill” cut path I get etching at 200mm/min and 300/min. Using “Line” cut path at 300mm/min I got a whole lot of nothing after removing the tape. I just let it start the logo and run a few passes at 0.1mm line interval for the Fill tests. I didn’t want to wait for the whole logo to finish just to see if it would mark the glass. The Line test I let it run the whole logo.

EDIT: Sorry, I guess I should read my own posts before running more tests…The etched logo was already at 200mm/min.

At 400mm/min(Fill) it is unnoticeable without angling the glass.

2 Likes

Love seeing the tests!!!

2 Likes

I just now realized why I’ve been having such a rough time with my aluminum extrusion gantry wheel fitments. I bought T-slot extrusion. I apparently needed V-groove extrusion. (face palm) Thought it was different names for the same thing. Slight difference in the channel depths and bevels. :grimacing:

1 Like

So I started to feel like the Primo was getting neglected, then I saw @Flyfisher604 made a sweet pen/knife mount that fits the DW660 mount. His thread HERE. Thanks for that! Decided to try some pen drawing with a tool change.

5 Likes

Glad the mount worked for you!

1 Like

Time to experiment with some plotterfiles.com or sandify.org files!