Primo Upgrade Medina, OH (Now with lasers!)

tenor

Fine motor skills.

7 Likes

That looks awesome!

Couple hours in the hot tub, refuel, time to get this Z together.

3 Likes

Oooooohhhhhhh, right, the tool plates. I needed those too… Z is done. It’s 00:25 so no chips tonight :sleeping:

2 Likes

:construction: RESURFACING IN PROGRESS, EXPECT DELAYS :construction:

4 Likes

Hex pattern in particle board. 1mm ball mill, 1mm DOC, 1200mm/min. (Taken after hitting it with a palm sander to remove burring)

2 Likes

1mm ball mill, 1mm DOC, 2mm finish depth, 2000mm/min. Forgot to set the 2mm depth on the triangle logo and the R because I used carve instead of hole like I used everywhere else. Went back over it 1mm deeper to finish at 2mm but turned feed up to 2500mm/min.

2 Likes

Cut it out with a 3/8" straight router bit at 1800mm/min with a 5mm DOC.

4 Likes

Well, I am pretty impressed!

Thanks for sharing. The Primo build threads are getting very exciting now.

Old Burly stuff free here.

So I figured I’d give some 3D milling a try. The first few tries were, lets just say, learning experiences. But a couple hours later…

This was 1/4" flat router bit for roughing, then a 2mm ball-end for finishing, both at 1000mm/min. This one was MDF. (The first one I tried was in plywood and that just didn’t hold it’s shape well!) Took about a half hour total. This was also my first try at a tool change. Just gotta remember, RE-ZERO Z!

I have a time-lapse video of it, but can’t figure out how to upload a video.

6 Likes

After that I tried my hand at aluminum.

Front panel from an old amp I had. Unknown alloy. Does aluminum have a grain? Seems the Y cuts were smooth, but the X cuts got all kerfey. This was 2mm ball-end, 600mm/min, .5mm DOC, Trochiodal 15% step-over. Can anyone tell me if I was being too cautious, or is milling aluminum really that slow?

It all ended in disaster anyway because I think I messed up on how the carve went for the logo.

1 Like

I would try to push a little harder on aluminium if you don’t mind test and break some bits…
I did 10mm/sec at 0.8mm DOC on 16 gauge Steel, Broke a bit doing 12mm/sec at 1mm DOC.

2 Likes

Looks like a Forbidden Snack.

This one makes you smaller. :smiley_cat:

So it’s starting to get cold here and the garage will soon be being used to park cars in…whatever. Anyway, the machine is coming in for the winter for some laserlicious fun, and probably some 3D printering and vinyl cutting also. Submitted for your approval, Porta-Primo!

Removed it from the table and mounted it to a not-as-hard-to-move square of cedar. It’s mostly square…mostly. It now resides in the dungeon lab.

I got my first laser last week and have been trying to get it dialed in. I originally was trying to use GRBL Mega5X on my now out of work ramps stacks, but I wasn’t able to get the TTL working for the good greyscaling. So I just flashed the same UNO/CNCShield stack I use with ESTLCam and it’s much better now. Here’s what I managed to turn out this evening.

Took a while to arrive but the laser seems to be working pretty well. This of course, being my first interaction with a laser more powerful that a pointing device, so maybe it’s OK, I don’t know. NEJE 30watt (7.5 watt optical output) from AliExpress HERE.

My hope is that I can get near the quality @dkj4linux has, he’s really making some nice stuff!

As always, any suggestions are appreciated!

8 Likes

I just wanted to say hi from Wadworth and nice build!

2 Likes

Thank you!

Howdy from Youngstown! Build is looking good.

1 Like