Primo Upgrade Medina, OH (Now with lasers!)

After seeing a video on AliExpress about a 40w diode laser I was looking at I decided to try a different approach to anodized aluminum. I tried it before both plain and then with painters tape. Plain left no marks, painters tape left marks, but wiped right off with alcohol. The video I saw had them blacken stainless to engrave it. So I tried a similar process.

Blackened with Sharpie.

Lased at 180mm/min 100% power. This pic is when it overshot the blackened part due to my mis-estimating of the width I’d need.

You can see the cuts. And where it didn’t in the un-treated area.

Wiped with alcohol.

Then after scrubbing pretty hard with acetone.

Some etching still remained, but basically invisible unless your right up on it. More testing needed. Right now, a semi-permanent solution.

Also, just something funny I made after a couple of comments from friends and family about the security camera facing my patio.

This is the view from the 1st floor powder room window.

3 Likes

I think any other color anodized aluminum will work, not so much the natural color though.

I think I made a video about etching red anodized with a 2.8W, worked perfect.

Oh, cool. Could you link that here?

1 Like

There is a YouTube link at the very top right with all the old videos, but here is that specific one.

3 Likes

I thought I’d put this in my own thread instead of “Things you’ve made” since I no more “made” it than I downloaded and printed a picture, albeit printed with a laser, but never-the-less it’s not my design.

Now, I can’t for the life of me, figure out what animal this is…

UZI? MAC-10? I dunno. :sweat_smile:

It’s clearly those lizards that can run on water.

Quetzalcoatl.

When lasering on glass - one trick is to put wet paper on the glass over the area you’ll be imaging and shoot the laser through the paper. That can make the damage the laser causes to the glass less “crunchy” and yield a better image.

Some people swear by newsprint, I used white paper that would otherwise be used in my office printer. We’d dip the paper in water, then put it on the glass and wipe away excess water with a paper towel. It takes a little trial and error regarding laser strength and how much wetness is too much or too little.

3 Likes

Also on the topic of lasers, the laserbits catalog has many interesting items for the laser owner. Lots of ready to etch consumables for example.

https://www.jpplus.com/laserbits

One other thing to know - your laser can probably cut thin EVA foam (Creatology craft 2mm foam sheets 9x12 and 12x18 - https://www.michaels.com/12x18-foam-sheet-by-creatology/M10597609.html ) from Michael’s craft store that is available in many colors. It can also cut thin fabric and paper. That can be glued to add color to other things you cut like wood letters.

If you do a dashed line on paper it can work like perforation making it easy to bend the paper at that point or create a tear off fold. You can cut flat patterns for boxes or envelopes this way.

People also cut balsa wood for custom balsa wood airplanes they design.

It should also etch on slate if the laser is strong enough. Some people make coasters from slate and then glue felt to the bottom.

2 Likes

I think I found a winner!

1 Like

One question… WHY!!! lol

I need something to put in this^ :grin:

My question still stands lol

Also what buttons are you going to put in that panel?

Well, it started as a joke, but now I wonder if it can be done…

3 Likes

Which is often as good a reason as any to do something. :+1: :grin:

2 Likes

What if you really like your gameboy games, and are also an ultrmarathon runner?

1 Like

I finally got around to making a proper mount for the air-assist nozzle on my laser rig. Here it is if anyone else needs it.

1 Like

Also, we’re gonna need a bigger bench.

3 Likes

DON’T DO IT!

If you get a bigger bench, you’ll just have more projects/stuff on it until it looks just like that, only bigger.

Go ahead… Ask me how I know…

5 Likes