Printing parts like crazy

Hi, first post here. Just wanted to say that, apart from anything else, those parts are really pretty.

Cant wait to start getting it dirty.

3 Likes

Those are very nicely printed. Keep them coming.

I have to ask why such a large raft/brim? I’m printing a set of parts as downloaded on my printer which is just glass and PVA gluestick and have no adhesion problems.

Hey, don’t go questioning another man’s adhesion issues… If he brings it up, that’s fine. But if he wants an Annie Hall brim, it’s his filament. Besides, there’s too many “solutions” to dubious “problems” when it comes to 3D printing. If he likes big brims, and he cannot lie, let him be. Personally, I use painter’s tape on glass. Some use hairspray, others use PEI surfaces and whatnot. Strokes 'n folks, they’re all different. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

A little piece of advice coming from a total freshman in this game. I got an used Ender 3 for printing parts. Little did I know that the printer wasn’t square, in any axises! I don’t know wether you have thought about this possibility, maybe most people do - but I didn’t. That led to many out-of-square prints and a lot of headache! So, if you are fully aware of this, please excuse my interruption! Welcome to the family!

1 Like

Never hurts to verify the dimensional accuracy as well. I found I was printing at about 98% of full size, and had to adjust my printer to print actual, full-sized, 1:1 scale parts.

But that can also wait until you print a few pieces, and find they are ill-fitting (way too tight, or way too loose). I found I was just about cutting threads into the pieces for the bearing axles, and really had to force the conduit into place. And my center assembly… Gah! So much wasted PLA…

Hey Ryan, because I occasionally suffer mad warpage problems, which is really frustrating 4 hours into a 20 hour print. I’m happy to use a few metres extra filament to avoid that. I’m getting some great prints, so I don’t want to change anything right now.

2 Likes

It’s looking good so far. The bolts all fit nicely, and the corners bolt together in all orientations. Thanks for the heads up though.

1 Like

What really put me off was the tool mount. I didn’t notice the lack of squareness printing the more complicated parts, but with the tool mount I saw with my own bare eye that it was not straight at all…

I tend to use a small brim on my Creality along with some masking tape and glue stick. I think I have the printer dialed in much better, but I still don’t trust it all the way. Haven’t upgraded the fan/ducting nor worked on a different build plate.

I have a buildtak sticker on my flex plate. Once you get the temps dialed in it works great.

Stuff holds tight!!! Had a failure, so I wanted to see how strong the magnet was holding the flex plate. Turns out it holds tighter than the spider couplings on my Z screws.

1 Like

I used to use buildtak but I switched to PEI on a magnetic spring steel sheet and I’ve been using 1 sheet for about 6 times as long as a buildtak sheet would last. All I do for maintenance is wash it with soap and water and dry it off every 10 prints or so (to remove fingerprint oils).

Yea, I need to get another steel sheet so I can have a buildtak sheet, and a pei sheet depending on what material I’m printing. I was just impressed that my steel sheet didn’t come off the bed until stuff broke on the printer. I did lose one of the bearings out of my linear rail, but missing one or two isn’t a big deal. I superglued the part that broke back together, then printed its replacement.

You can buy 100 3/32" bearings for $5 on Amazon.

If I every replace the bearings, they’ll be ceramic. One or two missing out of the carrier isn’t a big deal.

Burly completed (I need to cut a bit off the leadscrew). So far it’s gone together like a dream - everything fits really well, and apart from having to swap out some cap head bolts for button head no real issues.

The part I wasn’t looking forward to - drilling the tube - went really well, and my Amazon cheapo tube cutter made short work of the conduit

3 Likes

First crown! I’m chuffed - it worked great.

What’s the verdict - any obvious flaws or issues?

5 Likes

Nope! That looks good!

1 Like

Your paper is upside down. How embarrassing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks great!

Now, as Ryan would say, Get it dirty!

1 Like