Problem with conduit sizing

Hello i sourced some pipes locally and said i wanted 25mm sizing. They gave me the pipes and cut them to the sizes that i gave them. When i came home i measured the pipes and the size was 26.9mm. I contacted the store and they said they cant refund or change the pipes. I now think that i can heat up the pipes and melt the parts that hold them until they fit. Secondly i dont know if anyone has a list of 27mm parts for the primo or the step files so i can modify the parts.

Pipe is measures by inside diameter. 25mm TUBE is what you wanted. Tube is measured by outside diameter.

The parts holding it is only onr small part of the equation. I can more or less guarantee that you will not be happy with the resulting machine if you melt the parts to fit the wrong size steel.

Keep in mind that there are separate parts to print for the 25mm version and the 25.4mm version. This is a precision machine, and melting stuff to unknown tolerances isn’t even close to going to end well.

1 Like

what do you suggest then. Are there any other files with 27mm sizing or are there any cad files that i can modify to fit the machine?

@vicious1 designed the machine sizes to try and match tubing that should be readily available in different areas of the world. C= US nominal 3/4" (internal diameter) Conduit; F = “Foreign” EU electrical conduit; J = “Jumbo” 25.4 mm or 1" outside diameter.

From the Docs section:

Printed Parts Sizes

There are 3 different sets of printed parts C-23.5mm, F-25mm, or J-25.4mm (1 inch). The measurement is for the Outside Diameter of the conduit/rails/tubing. Please measure your rails before printing! 23.5mm fits ¾″ EMT conduit in the US. Anywhere else you must physically measure first. Some things are sold as Inside Dimension (ID) (conduit), or Outside Dimension (OD) (tubing).

Hardware store steel EMT conduit works well and is inexpensive; an upgrade would be .065” (max is 0.120”) wall thickness stainless steel tubing or DOM. Stainless steel tubing is more rigid and smooth, but also much more expensive, Dom is less expensive than Stainless but requires some coating to prevent rust.

You will need to find appropriate sized tubing.

The MPCNC is not open source, so the source CAD files are not available. I know that people have tried to adapt the parts for 1.06" (Which is what it sounds like you got) before without success. Unfortunately, that’s the answer that I have. This comes up every once in a while, where someone else has made the same purchase as you, and bought the wrong steel.

1 Like