Played with power a bit this morning. Looks like I’m going to end up with 2 power supplies.
I moved the big power supply over to the front porch. I measured out enough power wire to get from the second controller to the other side of the front porch. with the 16 gauge wire, it was still just enough voltage drop to keep the controller from running.
So I moved the power supply closer to the controller, cut the wires shorter, and wired it up there. It ran perfect.
Unfortunately, with this test, I also ruled out being able to put the PS on the porch for the first controller. There’d be way too much power drop for the first controller to boot. I wish I had calculated this out a little better before doing the install. I could have ran the LEDs on the right half of the house the opposite way and had both controllers under the front porch roof.
The sequencer would have taken care of the strips running in opposite directions.
After doing my test, I went back and measured the voltage at controller one. It sits at 4.7v idle.
Thinking about this a bit more, I guess I ‘could’ have gotten a variable voltage power supply and just kept adjusting the V up until it was a stable 5v at the controller going through the attic. Not sure I want that much current running through the attic, though… and I’ve already pulled most of the wire back out of the attic to use elsewhere. I left some up there I might be able to use as a pull string.