PVC pipe and wedges as a hold down

Check out the beginning of this video. I think I’m going to have to try this on the next spoilboard:

He’s using what looks like 3/4" PVC pipe and just some wooden wedges to hold the wood in place. It also gives him a great solid corner to line stuff up on the machine.

8 Likes

I was also intrigued when I first saw this kind of design. There are several variations of this design on YouTube, and typically some form of cam clamp is used. Two examples:

2 Likes

I love this guy’s channel. What he can do with inlays is absolutely amazing and has inspired me to want to try this myself and the direction I want to go in my woodworking hobbies (I like to dabble with epoxy inlays as well).

But yeah…when I finally get the CFO to approve the procurement of the primo parts, this is how I want to set up my spoil board/table. In some of his older videos, he also uses a cam lock to hold his work pieces. I like the idea of the pvc so if the machine goes a little crazy or runs wide, it’ll have no issue cutting through the pvc, and it is rather inexpensive to replace if needed. This is a first that I have seen him use the wedges in this way. I think he was using a cam lock in conjunction with a block if the workpiece was just a bit outside of his grid network.

Love his stuff though!!

1 Like

Yup. I already use cam locks and blocks on my current setup. This just seems to be a bit easier. My cam locks bolt into threaded inserts and take a little bit to get setup.

1 Like