Question about Universal G-code sender

I don’t think there will ever be one workflow. The DXF->EstlCAM->LCD->Marlin is what I will usually suggest for people who don’t have an opinion. Clearly, there are many other possibilities.

Of course you are right, I think it would be good to outline some options and explain the workflow in more general terms just as @kvcummins has done.

FreeCAD does have CAM capability. The CAM component is called the “Path” workbench in FreeCAD terminology. I find it quite usable, although it is not presently capable of doing V-carve type operations.

Importing DXF files is a bit awkward, but possible.

With vectric you need to use the GRBL post prosser for it to act right.

1 Like

Yes and it works well

Hi everyone, I just played with stepper motor with UGS software and it work well with my CNC Shield V3
board, I’m so pleasant.

Im ready to test MPCNC to draw on paper to test.

2 Likes

That is the comb I am using on my setup and Love it too

Sorry for the delayed response. You are correct on all other accounts. But this, I have to pick at the nits…

You have to have a gcode sender, even if it’s a “sneaker-net” gcode sender consisting of writing the gcode to an sd card, and plugging it into an sd-capable controller. You may not need a separate gcode sender, if your CAM software can send the gcode to your controller, but you still have a gcode sender in there.

EstlCAM and Mach/LinuxCNC are hybrids in that they distribute the controller out to a computer that can also manage gcode files and/or perform CAM, therefore short circuiting the need for a dedicated gcode sender. Although you could probably figure out a way to send gcode to a machine controlled by either control software.

Now, I realize that we’re (ok, I’m) probably squabbling over semantics, but gcode senders are the rule, not the exception. I wouldn’t say they are optional. There are just ways to work around needing a dedicated gcode sender. :smiley:

2 Likes

A terminal program and a script to read gcode or hand enter it is all that are needed and is what marlin does with the sd card. There just isn’t enough memory on a uno to do that from a card so the sender is needed if some sort as simple as a terminal program to Mach 3/4