Question about z-axis

I’m building a 24"x36" with 1" SS tubes.
Everything should get here Monday from V1.
I want to be able to use a laser or an oscillating pin for cutting out FliteTest planes – what has worked best for anyone here?
I want to be able to work boards up to about 2" thick with the Dewalt mill.

What sort of z should I plan on? I have enough tubing for 6". Shorter is better, but I don’t want to be too short.

Thanks for the help.

I do not have any direct experience but I think the laser melts the foam in a bad way that is why they usually use the needle. I am not positive though.

1 Like

Thanks, Ryan, for the warning about laser.

Any suggestion for the amount of Z I should give myself with those basic design goals?

I see you’re talking about 1 to 1.5" clearance being enough for movement, then changing the table distance.
Hmm. I like that idea.
Are there any good table plans that have this thought through and well implemented?
Reading through your recommendations about size again, I guess I could cut it down to 24x30 working area…

No common drop table plans. Dui has it in his build thread as do a few others each in a different way. You can also make the legs go into the table and raise it up when needed but I feel it is harder to keep real square that way.

Smaller is better, most importantly easiest to learn on. Changing sizes later on really is not that big of a deal.

1 Like