Question: Has anyone used PROFILE router bits...

I’ve been looking at my rather large array of router bits used in the woodworking that I do; trying to figure out if I will be be able to utilize any of the profile bits for doing edge work. I’m not talking bout straight bit, round end bits, V-bits as all of those can work.

I am thinking of various shaped edge profile bits, and bit for cutting stiles and rails. Or even something like a tongue and groove bits.

Also, I’m thinking of cutting a hole in my table top that would allow me to place and clamp pieces used for drawers and cut dovetails, box joints etc.

I realize that “adding” a side profile would call for a tool change, or better yet, setup and ran as a separate job completely.

I also realize, that it will take sever passes, just as it does on my router table.

The machine knows not what the bit looks like, only where to move it and how far to move it. I also realize, that the workpiece will need to be slightly elevated to allow for the bits’ extra length to pass. I also believe that since most of my profile bits have bearings to limit the ‘max’ cut that the bearing would have to be removed, and possibly the small knobby mount ground off (not planning on doing that on my high dollar bits) but am willing to modify my cheap bits. Oh, the reason I believe the bearing will need removed is to prevent any damage to the router, and LowRider should if want to cut a few mills deeper than the bit is designed for.

On profile that I can see working even better on the LowRider 2 is a Locking Miter Joint, as it could be dialed in and cut easier and safer that on a router table.

Anyway, if anyone has used any profile bits with the LowRider 2, please let me know, and tip, advice, etc. will be welcomed.

It would be much faster to cut the rough shape on the CNC and use the router by hand with the follower bearing. You could do some nice stuff and it would be hours faster that way. Or for instance doing cabinet, use the CNC to cut the pasterns and uses follower bit by hand.

Your hands are good with high force so they are faster but not accurate. The CNC would be painfully slow but insanely more accurate. Mix them to your advantage.

Just to kind of drive that home, when will mill stuff most of us take it out and either sand the surface lightly by hand or round the edges with a deburring tool. Both could be done with the CNC but would take forever comparatively. Mixing is the way to go, gotta have something to do while the cnc is cutting teh next part anyway.

3 Likes