Quick concept question

I’m back…

I am making a mast gate for my sailing boat. ie it is a gadget that fills a slot in the mast track to stop the sail slugs falling out as the sail is lowered.

I have been mucking around with fusion 360 and have managed to get a pretty good item with stepped cuts on the back side.

I have been reading about the Guffy post processor and wondered if I drew an extruded shape in FS360 with a cylindrical slope on the back side instead of the stepped one done in Estlcam, would I be able to carve a nice 3D piece ? I have downloaded the post processor but that has sort of eluded me a bit.

So before i spend any more time on this, would it be able to do it? ie FS 360 creates the Gcode and then it will cut a nice smooth piece that fits snugly around the mast?

Thanks

Rob
ps here is what I have mocked up that I can attack with the sander. So it is all doable. I am going to remake it out of a plywood / epoxy/ glass sandwich.

The short answer is yes, Fusion 360 can make a toolpath that produces a smooth finished piece. It looks like you are wanting a concave cylindrical shape instead of the steps, which should not be an issue.

It is also possible for Estlcam to generate a smooth toolpath, using a 3D free machining, which for example can make topographic relief carvings. But this requires an external tool to generate the 3D model so if you are already using Fusion 360 for the CAD then you might as well use Fusion for the toolpath generation too instead of trying to export an STL and import into Estlcam.

Great. Well I will persevere with it.

The only fly in the ointment at the moment is when I download the Guffy zip file and unpack it where I think it should go, FS 360 can’t seem to see the processor files.

I have looked and looked but I am in too deep for my paygrade I think.

Is there a one page on installing the Guffy, where, and how to make it work on FS360…?

R

You should get a ball-nose end mill. It will help produce a nicer curved surface than the flat end mill will.

I remember having the same problem. Google “installing custom post processor in Fusion 360”. You should find a tutorial on where to put the files.

Thanks, have it sorted.
See how many bits I can wreck now.

Rob

1 Like