Rambo 1.4 LOWRIDER2 enclosure

Hi I am looking for an enclosure for the Rambo 1.4 board that I can mount to the LOWRIDER2.

Something like this:
https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/42648-lowrider2-case-for-skr-or-ramps-board/files

If anyone is aware of an already existing design I would love to know.

On the flip side I have started to create my own design that would fit the Rambo 1.4, the 12 volt power supply, and a raspberry pi. But it’s going to take me several more evenings before I would have it done.

I don’t have a LowRider, so there may be mechanical requirements for the enclosure I’m not aware of, but Ryan has a vertical-mount enclosure that will fit the Rambo board. And with all the LowRider owners on this forum, I sure you will get other suggestions.

But I really like the look and features of the Ramps enclosure that you linked. The Rambo board will fit in this enclosure, but the mounting holes don’t line up, and the positioning when using the provided USB cutout is less than ideal:

Low-temp hot glue would allow you to mount the board in this position.

I don’t know what your skill level is with designing/modifying 3D models, but if you some but not enough to modify this enclosure, you could:

• Design and print solid hexagons that fits in the mesh to plug a couple of holes where the Rambo mounts.
  • Optionally print the enclosure with 4 or more perimeters and then cut a new opening for the USB connector that moves it over.
  • Optionally 3D print a plate that dresses out the moved over USB port.
  • Mount the board with low-temp hot glue.

I have modeled several other things and they have worked. But it takes time so I thought I would reach out to the community before reinventing the wheel.

I have not had good luck importing and modifying STL files but I have done it.

Thanks for the suggestions to reuse the design I linked. I will have to give it some thoughts.

If you really like the case you linked to, and you’d like me to take a shot at modifying for the Rambo, I’d be glad to make a try and message you the files. The two things I’d worry about are getting the mounting points exactly right, and the position of the USB connector. If I miss by a mm or so on the mount points, you could always hot glue the board in place, and I’d probably oversize the opening for the USB connector a bit to help ensure it is fully exposed. Also from the board perspective, I think it would be better to have the stepper wires come in on the right instead of the left, which could be accomplished by mirroring the model. But since I don’t have a LowRider, I have no idea if the preferred entry is on the left or right.

Anyway, it would only take a short time if you want me to try.

1 Like

Thanks for the offer, but I will try to continue with my model for a bit. Last night I was able to get the back plate modeled with mount points for the Rambo 1.4, a raspberry pi and the power supply.

But there is still a lot to do to make it final.

2 Likes

So I finally finished some of the enclosure model. I still need to design the lid.

I made it to fit the Rambo 1.4, raspberry pi, and power supply.

As you can see I have a lot of wiring to route and clean up.

1 Like