Rambo 1.4. Why is information impossible?

I have hunted high and low for a pinout for the Rambo 1.4 boards.
Considering how much these things get used, I cannot find a full diagram of what the headers are on the PCB.
Why is it so hard to find this information? Take for instance the serial header… nowhere to be found.
I had to poke around with a multimeter for 30 mins to try and deduct what pin went where.

If anyone has a decent link to the pin headers, I am going to make a decent full diagram and put it on my website.

Also, anyone know what M/G commands operate all the available switched outputs (Extruder 0,1, fans etc). I think/hope this information is easier to find!

The best information I know of is at the reprap wiki. If you add any info, I would add it there, not your website:

https://reprap.org/wiki/Rambo_v1.4

They link a schematic (in pdf format, which is welcome to me. I don’t like to open odd schematic design files). Here is that link:

2 Likes

Good question. A link on the documentation page to the reprap wiki would be good to have on the electronics setup page. I had found the schematic for the Archim board because there are pictures on the dual endstop configuration page with links to the reprap wiki with detailed pics and schematics. I went back and forth to it quite regularly during my own setup.

Jeff, the schematic link posted above is broken. Here’s another:
https://github.com/ultimachine/RAMBo-1.4/blob/1.4/Project%20Outputs/Schematic%20Prints_RAMBo_1.4a.PDF

Also from the wiki page is a graphic of the pinouts https://reprap.org/wiki/File:Rambo-1.4-connection-diagram.png

If anyone wants the connector part numbers to find mating parts, the BOM is in the “Project Outputs/Assembly” section of the github page, here in XLS format:
https://github.com/ultimachine/RAMBo-1.4/blob/1.4/Project%20Outputs/Assembly/BOM-Grouped_RAMBo_1.4a.xlsx
And here in text ‘tabbed’ format in case you don’t want to open a random XLS file:
https://github.com/ultimachine/RAMBo-1.4/blob/1.4/Project%20Outputs/Assembly/tab_bom_RAMBo_1.4a.txt

1 Like

Thanks all. Spent the afternoon ‘mapping’ the pins.
Got a third serial port working to communicate with the Marlin software, so I can directly send commands to the Rambo, and still have Repetier connected and the LCD.

The only issue really is that the any movement commands you send to the Rambo, then throw the X,Y,Z position data out for the Repetier (and vise-versa).
Fine if you are using one or the other, but it would be nice to have them linked.

Not sure how or if that can be achieved.

Two days ago I was looking into how to make nice pinout diagrams. Am am trying to spool up the Archim’s a little more and the info is most certainly there, I would love to have something like this!

Arduino-Nano-Pinout

I was thinking if I could come up with a nice layout in inkscape, we could add info as we need in in the wiki.

Repetier keeps it’s own track of position. Maybe there is a setting to make it query Marlin. I think there are ‘@’ commands to reset it, but that would be a pain.

Hey Jeff and Ryan or anyone else,
I have a quick question. I have arduino mega and ramps 1.4. I have extensive knowledge using that board. I know I have posted about wanting to use the 32 bit boards. I have changed directions a little. Now that I have all the parts printed out for the LR2, I am starting to print the MPCNC today. LOL. Well my question is this. At this point in time. What board would be the best in your opinion to incorporate as the board to use. I am going to use the suggested motors that I purchased through your site. Well I purchased all my inventory for the exception of nuts and bolts and the board through your site. So once again I want to purchase the best board for my MPCNC. I have read and listened to how much better and faster a 32 bit board can process information for example the math regarding a curve. Is it true. Thanks guys. ! I appreciate your quick feed back more than you know.

Yes and no, can a 32 be faster, yes. Are they right now, nope. The accels have been broken down and written in assembly to optimize the equations to work on an 8bit board. If I remember all that correctly.

If you really want 32 bit I hope to be able to match the archim price to the rambo price in the next month or so.

1 Like

Unless you are wanting to make a delta then yes, you need a 32 bit board.

1 Like

The rambo is an excellent board, and very capable.

Thanks guys. I have some time today so I though I would add to some of the current discussions and ask a few questions. I appreciate the quick response.

So I was able to get the bolts trimed up real neat and fast. I simply put 3 berrings in my vise and used a drill to spin the bolts about that axis. Then I applied minimal pressure with a grinder and sanding attachment and as I was spinning the bolts I sanded the end. In the end I had very smooth ends and the process is fully repeatable. I was able to trim my sae bolts 1/4 inch with no fuss.

Ryan, I am planning to build a MPCNC in January or February with your parts bundle, to help support the work you’ve done here. I would prefer to buy the controller but I am set on 32 bits.

Do you think you will have the Archim (for routing) or another 32 bit board integrated into a bundle by then?

Thanks

1 Like

Yes. If I don’t send me a note. I just need to get in some solid testing time with it and If we are in a better place with it now (in terms of firmware) I will swap the Archim for Rambo.

1 Like