Rambo v1.4 firmware 'upload' step failure using PlatformIO on Mac

Hey there,

So I am having problems. I bought my Rambo board directly from Ultimachine as it was out of stock. I need to update it with V1’s firmware for the ‘dual endstop’ variety. I am following this procedure:

docs.v1engineering/learn/platformio/

I have passed the ‘build’ step but am failing the ‘upload’ step. I’m using a Mac with VSCode with my Rambo board connected using the USB connector it arrived with. I haven’t connected the board to anything else except my mac yet.

When it was doing the ‘upload’, I saw a light flash for 1/2 a second on the board, but that was it Also, the board doesn’t appear in my Finder on Mac though it is connected.

Do you know how I might overcome this issue? I am using the ‘Dual endstop’ version of the Rambo 1.4 firmware

Hey there,

So I am having problems. I bought my Rambo board directly from Ultimachine as it was out of stock. I need to update it with V1’s firmware for the ‘dual endstop’ variety. I am following this procedure:

docs.v1engineering/learn/platformio/

I have passed the ‘build’ step but am failing the ‘upload’ step. I’m using a Mac with VSCode with my Rambo board connected using the USB connector it arrived with. I haven’t connected the board to anything else except my mac yet. This is what it shows to happen in the terminal:

> Executing task: platformio run --target upload <

Processing rambo (platform: atmelavr; board: reprap_rambo; framework: arduino)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Verbose mode can be enabled via `-v, --verbose` option
CONFIGURATION: https://docs.platformio.org/page/boards/atmelavr/reprap_rambo.html
PLATFORM: Atmel AVR (3.3.0) > RepRap RAMBo
HARDWARE: ATMEGA2560 16MHz, 8KB RAM, 252KB Flash
DEBUG: Current (avr-stub) On-board (avr-stub, simavr)
PACKAGES: 
 - framework-arduino-avr 5.1.0 
 - tool-avrdude 1.60300.200527 (6.3.0) 
 - toolchain-atmelavr 1.70300.191015 (7.3.0)
Converting Marlin.ino
LDF: Library Dependency Finder -> http://bit.ly/configure-pio-ldf
LDF Modes: Finder ~ chain, Compatibility ~ soft
Found 6 compatible libraries
Scanning dependencies...
Dependency Graph
|-- <U8glib-HAL> 0.4.5
|   |-- <Wire> 1.0
|   |-- <SPI> 1.0
|-- <Wire> 1.0
|-- <SPI> 1.0
Building in release mode
Checking size .pio/build/rambo/firmware.elf
Advanced Memory Usage is available via "PlatformIO Home > Project Inspect"
RAM:   [======    ]  59.0% (used 4834 bytes from 8192 bytes)
Flash: [====      ]  42.4% (used 109514 bytes from 258048 bytes)
Configuring upload protocol...
AVAILABLE: wiring
CURRENT: upload_protocol = wiring
Looking for upload port...
Auto-detected: /dev/cu.usbmodem14201
Uploading .pio/build/rambo/firmware.hex
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

avrdude done.  Thank you.

*** [upload] Error 1
========================================= [FAILED] Took 36.84 seconds =========================================

Environment    Status    Duration
-------------  --------  ------------
rambo          FAILED    00:00:36.843
==================================== 1 failed, 0 succeeded in 00:00:36.843 ====================================
The terminal process "platformio 'run', '--target', 'upload'" terminated with exit code: 1.

Terminal will be reused by tasks, press any key to close it.

When it was doing the ‘upload’, I saw a light flash for 1/2 a second on the board, but that was it. Also, the board doesn’t appear in my Finder on Mac though it is connected.

Do you know how I might overcome this issue? I am using the ‘Dual endstop’ version of the Rambo 1.4 firmware

Do you have the power and USB connected?

1 Like

Also, check out Xloader if you are trying to flash stock firmware. I think you got through the hardest parts of platformio, but xloader with the firmware.hex should be a lot less moving parts to worry about.

1 Like

I have the usb cable connected to the laptop ONLY.

That’s the issue then. The actual processor isn’t powered via usb, just the serial chip. You need to also power the 12V.

4 Likes