Rambo v1.4 Repetier Server on Pi Commands Not Recognized

I’m having trouble getting Repetier Server to command the Rambo v1.4 board (ordered from V1) on a new LR2 build. It connects just fine, but I get connectivity timeouts and unknown command warnings as show in this pic:

Anyone know what’s going on?

If memory serves, Repetier Server only talks to Repetier firmware, which isn’t on your Rambo. You want to uninstall Repetier Server, and install Repetier Host.

edit: Repetier Server also monopolizes your USB port, and won’t allow anything else to connect to it (Pronterface, CNC.js, etc., etc.)

edit2: Or I could be wrong, and you should listen to Jeffe, who is much more knowledgeable about these things. :slight_smile:

Do you have the baud rate set to 250k? Is there output from the console?

One possible issue is that a dual endstop rambo configuration will have EXTRUDERS=0, so the temperature parsing may not be handled well by repetier.

1 Like

Yup, baud is 250k, and there’s output from the console…that is the pic posted above…unless you’re referring to something else.

I built an MPCNC with a mini-rambo and did the firmware load myself per this site’s instructions, and that works well, so just not sure what should be different here with the Rambo if anything.

Here’s the portion of the console output that shows it’s talking to the Rambo board:

Edit: Here’s the settings in R-Server

If there’s a helpful command I could issue so you could see the console output, just let me know.

I didn’t set it up with any endstops, but I’m not sure if the firmware was loaded with dual endstops. Is there an easy way to check via a console command?

@kvcummins , I did connect to Repetier Server from Host, and same problem. Since the server can also jog the machine around I was just doing the control from there for this topic…either way, both don’t work.

M119 will show it, but I think that since the version number doesn’t include a D, it is the serial version. So now I’m not sure. I don’t use repetier server, so I am not sure what it is using to determine it has timed out.

The second image, with the echo from Marlin is what I am looking for. It does show the eeprom error, but I don’t think that should affect RS. Version 421 fixed that specific issue.

I would try to connect straight to it with repetier host from your computer (without repetier server). It would be helpful to know if your board is resetting/crashing or if repetier server is just having trouble with that firmware.

1 Like

Jeffe,

I was able to connect Reptier Host directly and command the LR2, but my end goal is to run Repetier Server on the Pi and connect remotely with Repetier Host. I’ve set things up that way on my MPCNC with a mini Rambo, and it works perfectly, so not sure why the Rambo board is having issues. I am using the v1 Pi image on my Raspberry Pi, and I installed Repetier Server via the command line with dpkg, that way I have several options to use, and all the servers run on different ports. Again, works great on the MPCNC with mini-Rambo, but not the Rambo on the LR2. I haven’t been able to get CNC.js working at all due to several bugs, so Repetier Server is my preference for now. If I can just use CNC.js, I’d be fine with that, but so far, that’s been really flaky for me.

I get it. I am not suggesting giving up, just a test.

If it is working fine with RH, then it’s possible all the 418 firmwares don’t work with RS. Did you try M119 to confirm it is not the dual endstop firmware?

Updating to 421 may be worthwhile to test as well.

@vicious1, do you know if the serial 418 has EXTRUDERS=0?

Yes, 418 should be the first one.

Even on the serial version?

Yes, I tried M119 and it showed open for all endstops, so it should be good to go. I may try 421 firmware to see if that works. Is that just a github download away?

No, the question is, are there X2 and Y2 endstops, not just are they open.

@vicious1 and @jeffeb3 btw, these machine designs are awesome, and I’ve been having a lot of fun building them and working with them, so thank you both for the hard work and continued to support.

I’ll check on the X2 and Y2 endstops…brb.

Ok, I am seeing in github that 418_Rambo has EXTRUDERS=0. I am guessing that is what is causing RS to think there is an issue.

Is there a forum or issue tracker for RS? Maybe there is a way to make it stop looking for things like a hot end temperature if there are no extruders?

You could put extruders back to 1 and flash it. It would be good to confirm my guess, at any rate.

So if you try 421 first. Then if that doesn’t fix it, set EXTRUDERS=1 in configuration.h. Either way, let us know how to fix it. I am sure you’re not the only one that would like to know.

No, sorry not on the serial version.

@jeffeb3 Where is the 421 Rambo code? Is the V1CNC Rambo firmware on git?

Yup.

Got it. I’ll load it up to see if that works. It shows EXTRUDERS = 0 in the 421 code, so I’ll start with that, then if that doesn’t work, I’ll flip it to 1 to see if that works.