Ramps 1.4 compiling error

Afternoon all,
As my build is starting to take shape, I thought that I would get a start on flashing the firmware to my 2560.
I have a generic clone setup from ebay, 3D Printer Controller Kit RAMPS 1.4 + MEGA 2560 R3 + 5 x A4988 Motor Driver | eBay
I only have a basic Smart Controller, so I have made the required changes in configuration.h to disable extra boot screen, enable smart controller and disable graphics controller.
My problem occurs when I try to compile with Arduino, it gives an error about redefinition of variable for Mesh View. I installed the u8glib library and that is all.
This is way above my pay grade, and I can see no reference to anyone else having this particular issue.
Help please!

Error log below:

In file included from C:\Users\vk7hc\Downloads\V1CNC_Ramps-2.0.9.2\Marlin_V1CNC_Ramps_2.0.9.2_513-src\Marlin\Marlin\src\lcd\extui\ftdi_eve_touch_ui\language\language.h:23:0,
                 from C:\Users\vk7hc\Downloads\V1CNC_Ramps-2.0.9.2\Marlin_V1CNC_Ramps_2.0.9.2_513-src\Marlin\Marlin\src\lcd\extui\ftdi_eve_touch_ui\language\language.cpp:25:
C:\Users\vk7hc\Downloads\V1CNC_Ramps-2.0.9.2\Marlin_V1CNC_Ramps_2.0.9.2_513-src\Marlin\Marlin\src\lcd\extui\ftdi_eve_touch_ui\language\language_en.h:148:24: error: redefinition of 'const char Language_en::MSG_MESH_VIEW []'
   PROGMEM Language_Str MSG_MESH_VIEW                = u8"View Mesh";
                        ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from C:\Users\vk7hc\Downloads\V1CNC_Ramps-2.0.9.2\Marlin_V1CNC_Ramps_2.0.9.2_513-src\Marlin\Marlin\src\core\language.h:563:0,
                 from C:\Users\vk7hc\Downloads\V1CNC_Ramps-2.0.9.2\Marlin_V1CNC_Ramps_2.0.9.2_513-src\Marlin\Marlin\src\inc\MarlinConfig.h:53,
                 from C:\Users\vk7hc\Downloads\V1CNC_Ramps-2.0.9.2\Marlin_V1CNC_Ramps_2.0.9.2_513-src\Marlin\Marlin\src\MarlinCore.h:24,
C:\Users\vk7hc\Downloads\V1CNC_Ramps-2.0.9.2\Marlin_V1CNC_Ramps_2.0.9.2_513-src\Marlin\Marlin\src\lcd\language\language_en.h:160:8: note: 'const char Language_en::MSG_MESH_VIEW [10]' previously defined here
   LSTR MSG_MESH_VIEW                      = _UxGT("View Mesh");
        ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino Mega or Mega 2560.

Chris

The Arduino IDE for Windows is no longer able tp compile Marlin. The Linux (and presumably Mac) version still works, but the Windows version runs into limitations and can no longer deal with it. The limitation is entirely within Windows, and not necessarily with the Arduino IDE.

Al alternative is tp use Platformio with vscode. These are free tools and work well under Windows. Platformio also has some nice things to it, like being able to recognize compiling steps that don’t need to be re-done based on changed source code, where the Arduino IDE needs to completely re-compile the entire project every time. This can save you some time as you’re tweaking your firmware.

Edit: Even if you don’t have the Full Graphic controller, I’d highly recommend starting with the firmware in the Marlinbuilder releases page, and just removing the custom bootscreen and full graphic controller. (That’s what I did starting with a Reprap discount 2004 controller.)

I am trying (very) to use visual studio, and have platform.io installed.
I have this error appearing when I load the directory.

#include errors detected. Please update your includePath. Squiggles are disabled for this translation unit (C:\Users\vk7hc\Downloads\V1CNC_Ramps-2.0.9.2\Marlin_V1CNC_Ramps_2.0.9.2_513-src\Marlin\Marlin\src\MarlinCore.cpp).

If it is not one thing, it is another!

Edit: I am using the firmware from the Marlinbuilder releases page.
Chris

As long as you don’t need any changes to the firmware, you can use XLoader to upload the binary directly to the board, and skip all of the compiling steps. The binary is inside the first ZIP file along with the ZIP file containing the source.

This is a very specific error, and symptomatic of something not configured properly. Is that the very first error? The C++ compiler tries to keep going after it has trouble, and sometimes comes up with bizarre ideas after the first error. The most useful log starts at the first and includes the first half dozen or so errors.

Is this when you try to compile? Or is it just from visual studio. It is possible visual studio doesn’t understand what platformio is trying to accomplish. The real errors will be when you try to build it.

This is my advice. I know the src zips from MarlinBuilder releases compile in platformio (they are compiled every night). Start by trying to compile it without changing anything. Once you have that, change one thing at a time while trying to keep it working (remove the bootscreen, remove the discount display, add in your display). That will keep you from pulling out so much hair. If you get stuck, paste the first half dozen (or the full log) errors here and I will help out.