Ramps 1.4 wrong firmware? y&x 2 steppers don't move

built an MPCNC no endstops.
I have the mega with ramps 1.4 and DRV8825’s.
I managed to get the display configured before compiling and uploading so I can control using the knob, but I still have something not configured correctly.
I have V1CNC_Ramps_Dual-2.0.7.2-src from https://github.com/V1EngineeringInc/MarlinBuilder/releases
but i’m not sure if this is the correct firmware.
I’d prefer not to run my steppers in series since I have 5 steppers.

i’ve read a number of posts on this issue but they reference firmware Marlin-MPCNC_Ramps_T8_16T_LCD_32step and i just can’t find a link to it.

thank in advance.

That is for the endstop version …hmmm looks like we do not have one.

Try the previous version.

downloaded MPCNC_Ramps_T8_16T_LCD_32step_DualEndstop, comented out the "define X_Dual_ENDSTOPS and y_Dual_ENDSTOPS.
compiled and installed and still no stepper action on EO/E1 connectors.

after some more reading i’m going to just order some connectors to make splitters and drive both steppers off single drivers.

This is contradictory advice to Ryan. The dual endstop firmware from the first post should be fine. Even if you don’t install endstops. You can either wire it in serial or with E0/E1.

What was it that wasn’t configured right? It helps to say what you did, what you expected, and what you saw.

well i did everything I posted and nothing else.
downloaded firmware in OP.
configured display.
compiled and flashed the arduino.
plugged all 5 stepper drivers in and all five stepper motors.
moved them 1 mm.
only Z worked correctly.

the steppers on E0/E1 do not move.

then i started changing things based on what I read in the forum not knowing exactly what I was doing. :slight_smile:

I will put it all back to the latest Marlin from the OP, just wire them up in serial and just say I have two spare stepper drivers.
[/quote]

What display are you using, It is prefigured for the recommended display. if it was another did you make sure it was not also enabled.

Only one is used. not both.

What does M119 say? Sure it is actually getting flashed?

How exactly are you trying to move the machine, as in what exact steps are you doing?

I have the reprap discount smart controller.
I don’t know which firmware I should put on this board.
i’ve seen where multiple people on the forum have put different firmwares on and made it work though.
it comes up fine when I hook up the power and i can use the knob to navigate the menu to move the axis 1 or 10 steps.

like i said i’ll just yank the EO/E1 drivers and just wire the motors in series.

I would skip the screen for now. Just because we know this software should work. If you have a computer nearby you can easily jog with pronterface or repetier host.

I would use the software from the OP and I would send M115 and M119 to make sure it is being flashed. It should say 508D and the M119 should show endstops for the x2/y2. Don’t worry if they are triggered. They are ignored until you home.

Have you set the little trim pots on the drivers? Are you sure your drivers are working (have you tried swapping them?)?

I have my drv8825 with heat sinks at .7v.
my case has a fan in it but i don’t have that part hooked up yet.
I have a CnC.js setup that I did not yet hook up.
but will tomorrow.
No idea if the drivers are all good, I just got them.
the board originally came with the 1/16 steppers so I ordered the 1/32 steppers.
But will swap them around to see if anything changes.

I re-flashed with the software from my OP tonight so tomorrow night i’ll give this all a try.

thanks.

I stopped getting voltage off the E1 & E2 steppers.
either steppers are bad or something with the board.
So, since i needed longer wires anyway I just ordered the serial wires from V1.
got here pretty quick also. :slight_smile:

now everything works and moves as expected.
however, after I move things around either via the control board, repetier host, or CNC.js all the steppers start clicking a few seconds after they are finished moving and don’t stop until I reset the board with the built in button on the display.

this can’t be normal?

edit: now i’m getting .04v off the stepper drivers.
the steppers move but the drivers get real hot and no adjusting changes the voltage at the stepper.
I do have 12v coming in.

I think this board is just shot.

I have a new skr 1.3 with 2208 drivers i bought for a 3d printer rebuild.
I see you can use one of those but I also see the mini-rambo is in stock.
looks like I can just use that since i’m now wiring steppers in series and I’m not using end stops?

1 Like

SKR 1.3 with the TFT35 v2 FTW.
after researching through the forum i compiled and installed skr firmware and updated the touch screen to the CNC display.