Random axis comm issue

I posted on the Facebook group earlier today with little traction being gained then realized it made more sense to ask here :man_facepalming:t2:

So I’m running into a strange issue with my Primo J - SKR 1.4 Turbo and 2209 drivers 24v Meanwell psu. When jogging the system using the tft screen my X2 axis and occasionally Y2 (much less frequently) just stops communicating unless I reset. Im guessing it may have something to do with my firmware as im fairly new to this so any help would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has a link to a properly functioning firmware that would be even better. Currently setting up an old pc to be the permanent brains of this thing so I don’t have anything besides the tft controls atm. I suspect this isn’t normal and would like to try to remedy it before moving forward if possible. I can get more photos if needed. Have a short youtube vid if that helps it just won’t let me post the link.

1 Like

I recently was reading another thread about the same issue. I believe the problem ended up being the current settings on the drivers if I’m not mistaken. Nice looking electronics box BTW!

1 Like

Ohh that’s a great start, any chance you can think of the topic name so I can do some research? Also thank you for the compliment it came off of a 12cyl natural gas compressor engine. Use to be a part of the emissions system that my company updated. I didn’t want to see it pitched so I found it a good home. :grinning:

1 Like

I suspect it is something wrong with the tft firmware. I would switch to marlin mode and see if that goes away.

Will do tonight after work, I know I switched over to try it the other night but I dont honestly recall if it still did it or not.

So when in marlin mode it still does it but only after switching axis. I can move X the width on my tubing then switch to Y and do the same but if I switch back to X then my X2 motor just sits it doesn’t even attempt to turn. Figure it’s a good bit of info to add that my X2 and Y2 are on E0 and E1 (I believe is the correct labeling) and not in series.

Weird. That’s not exactly like the other threads current setting. But it is worth checking.

The best thing to do is to get a computer attached and send M122 when it is broken. That should tell you the current current setting (which should be something like 850mA or 900mA). It will also tell you if the drivers are in overheat or are shut down or it detects am open loop.

Thank you for all the info. I’ll be working on that tonight. Had planned to use Win7 since there are no forced updates but it refuses to fully connect due to drivers so I’ll need to either look at win10 or maybe Linux (unsure of its driver compatibility though)

1 Like

Linux works great for this. There are a lot of good tools.

Windows 7 needs a driver. Win10 doesn’t, AFAIK.

1 Like

Well after finding the driver and getting pronterface installed it was still losing comms with a motor randomly. My initial firmware apparently didn’t have the M122 functionality so I took a chance on a different firmware supposedly for it. I was able to get m122 to run with that but now my motors just make a horrible whining noise now without moving, I need to go through the file and set it up im assuming. Only used it for the m122 cmd though. I did set xyz to 800 with the m906 cmd I believe but was unable to set x2 amd y2. Sorry still very new to this stuff the last time I used a cnc router was highschool in the mid 2K and it ran on dos 6.22 :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Oh. I thought you were using the firmware in MarlinBuilder releases.

The whine is normal. I turned off the quiet step, because the mpcnc does its hardest work when going slow, and the quiet step stuff isn’t as high of torque.

1400mA is pretty high, but if your drivers aren’t overheating and your motors are under 50C, go for it.

I was hoping to see the output of M122 after you had made it break by doing your jog steps. A lot of the info is cleared when the power is cycled.

Yeah unfortunately I couldn’t run the m122 with the firmware that was messing up. It said that it basically didn’t exist im trying to work on a new one atm because the motor are whining when I tell it to move but aren’t actually doing anything. I’ll update if I ever get it moving again thank you for all your help. VS is being a pain and not building at all for me currently so may be a day or two.

This is totally normal.

Oh? Then I’m completely lost how I had them.moving before :sweat_smile: regardless here’s the goofy noise it’s currently making but still un moving :man_facepalming:t2: (may need volume up)

Are you saying they never move? Or are you saying that they whine, even when they are not supposed to move?

They are making the whining noise when I tell it to move but never moving at all. Unsure as to why.

1 Like

Ah. Ok. Have you tried the MarlinBuilder releases firmware?

I attempted but I’m not even sure I was on the correct site :sweat_smile: when trying to load it into VS it won’t build and just wants me to point to a file. If you have a direct link I’d appreciate it to make sure I’m going to the correct page.

Oh, shoot. I thought I had an skr turbo with 2209. But I don’t see one.

All of those zips build. Or else they wouldn’t have been published. The closest is probably Skr1p3 builds, but those will need to be edited for the turbo and built again.

Is editing them for the turbo just telling it what board I have and the drivers or I there more to it? Such as pin configuration etc. I loaded the untested one onto my board for the skr turbo that already has a firmware file on it and it does the same thing as before where coms are lost so I assume that’s probably what I started with without realizing it :sweat_smile: