Random Makes

Here are a few of my favorite makes these past few months with my MPCNC.

V Carves were done in Vectric Aspire.

Found these night lights at a local dollar store and engraved using a diamond drag (spindle turned off).

Also found these slates serving boards at the dollar store and engraved using a diamond drag. I do not recommend using a diamond drag on slate as it wears them down pretty quickly. I started using just cheap wood V bits and also a diamond burr bit meant for rotary tools. A spray bottle with water was used at first but i found it didn’t make much difference. A pass depth of 0.15mm was used for both the Vbits and burr bits and around 10mm/s feed.

10 Likes

Very good projects. Thanks for sharing. Your v-carving is great. I only have a 3mm vbit right now and am limited to smaller signs. Need to get a bigger bit.

I have made a bunch of those nightlights with my laser. They really work great. Nice job of engraving.

Thanks Marion. I’m in the middle of setting up a laser, I think it will end up being a lot faster than the drag.

1 Like

Wow, great work! I think you might have found a money maker with that slate, so nice.

1 Like

Here is my laser build, including SVG for the outline. I have made many of these in all kinds of shapes. Make great Baptismal gifts.

that’s awesome, smart idea swapping out the material

The polycarbonate doesn’t laser very well. It’s a bit melty. Cast acrylic works much better.

Which dollar store did you get that slate from?

I guess that’s benefit of the diamond drag

Dollarama but they have been discontinued…I spent a day driving around to all the local Dollaramas to buy all their remaining ones after customer service told me they were discontinued. They seem to be just slate shingles with with feet attached and can be found at some roofing stores.

A trick for the slate is to pre-treat it with mineral oil before doing the engrave. You will get a better contrast.

Yea what I do is treat it with mineral oil and finish it with acrylic sealer before carving. I find this help the carving dust from getting into the pores slate and washing out the dark uncarved surface. After its carved, I lightly rinse it to try and preserve the powdery light carved areas and seal the whole thing again to lock in the powder making the carving light. If you rinse it to much or get oil on the carved areas it completely ruins the light look.

1 Like