Rapid movement speeds

What is everyone running for the rapid movement speeds settings? Have it at 400 ipm and would like to increase it but it seems to loose z steps when I increase the feed rate. Using v carve and cnc-g code sender if that matters.

I have it firmware limited, depending on what type of lead screw you are running.

What firmware/controller? Is it Marlin?

400 inches/minute? Thats 170mm/s? That seems quite high.

I purchased everything from the v1 store as a kit. Just trying to speed up larger carvings

1 Like

Yeah we still need details I have sold them both that is why I asked. No more than 120mm/s X and Y, and depending on when you bought it the Z can handle 8 or 20 mm/s.

That is listed on the software page. Shown in the estlcam basics setup.

Purchased Jan 23rd. Not running estlcam? Don’t know what that is.

EstlCAM is similar to vcarve. It’s the CAM program most people with the mpcnc/low rider start with. The details in that tutorial are helpful.

If you’re getting good results with 400ipm, then more power to you. There are also settings for maximum acceleration and for “jerk”. Those two setting has a big impact when changing direction or starting amd stopping.

There is a real problem moving the Z axis too fast. First off, its a lot of steps since it has the leadscrew reduction. The tiny CPU can’t handle a lot of steps. Also, rotating the stepper at high speed reduces its torque, so you’re more likely to skip steps. You can reduce the number of steps needed per mm in Z, but the torque will still be a problem.

I have been cutting at 100 ipm but really just talking about when it picks up and moves from one cut to the next. When doing a flag the stars take forever to v carve.

1 Like

42mm/s is ridiculously fast for the MPCNC. Cut deeper and slower with less passes to decrease your job time. Standard is 8-15mm/s. you are cutting three times fast that what most consider fast.

I told you above the maximum speed for the Z axis, with a T8 I would stay under 20mm/s or you could lose steps. Or you can write a little test code to punish your Z axis and see what it can handle, theoretically I believe it is up to 60 if you change the firmware.

The easiest way to cut your job time in half is build a second machine :wink: .

1 Like

All ready cutting at full depth. Sounds like I’m already maxing out the machine.

I guess so. Would you want to post a video of it working? That is certainly a lot faster than I’ve ran. I’d be curious to know what it’s like.

I’m glad I’m not the only one thinking that that’s incredibly quick.

I’m cutting at 17mm/s if I’m feeling daring, usually 13-14mm/s for most things and lower if it’s a hard timber.

Or is this just rapid rates?

Maybe I need to go back to research.