Raspberry Pi 3B or 3B+

I’ve noticed that all of my Pi’s in the house are 3B’s. I’m about to pick up another one for running CNC.js on the MPCNC. Is the 3B+ worth the extra money?

I currently have the following Pi’s running:

CNC.js for the laser engraver
Octoprint for the 3d printer
Home assistant
Unifi key software

I even have an old 2B on an aquarium controller I wrote.

I also have a pair of Pi Zero’s running some tasks.

I can’t say I’ve ever had a reason to get anything faster than the 3B for most of the applications I run on it.

Faster Internet, a bit faster cpu. That is about it. Most programs are meant to run on the pi are pretty low consumption, so it’s usually ok. I usually buy the latest one. The 3B is a good choice because it has wifi though. I have a bunch of the older ones and the wifi dongles are not as much fun.

I priced out a 3B+ and a pi 4. The 4 was about the same price on amazon.

Have you considered the 4?

I can’t speak to any practical advantage over the 3’s as far as cncjs goes… But I have been playing with one running linuxcnc. Ultimately I plan to use it for v1pi or just a shop computer. I will say it needs some active cooling though.

I’ve considered the 4, but if I can save the money, I w

The older models don’t really come down in price, so you essentially get more functionality for the same price. One exception is the 3A+ which is smaller, fewer USB ports, no RJ45 LAN port. If you are running wifi and the MPCNC is your one and only USB device, it works great.

1 Like