Ready to cut the flat parts but

I have just finished getting my MPCNC machine ready to cut flat parts for a MP3D V2.

I have the DXF files, but what I want to know is: after I cut the parts, how do I verify that they are the correct dimensions? There is so much “new to me” stuff going on with this: New CNC, new to EstlCAM, unsure if the combination is cutting accurately.

I know Ryan doesn’t do engineering drawings, and I understand his good reason. But With a brand new CNC I just need some way to check my dimensions.

Mike

1 Like

Pull the .dxf into a CAD program and read off the measurements?

Before doing someone else’s cuts though, I would do some of my own first. Something simple, like a box with carpenter’s joints so that you can be sure that the cuts are the same size, and that you’ve correctly identified and described the tool.

I’m still tweaking mine.

The biggest thing with something like an I3 printer design though is consistency. So long as both sides are the same length, and the front and back are the same, it can be made nice and square. Some parts, like the parts that hold the heated bed can be compared to the parts that they’re supposed to hold.

3 Likes

OK, I figured out a better way (for me):

1. I’ll use Freecad (which I need to get to know) to make a sketch of known dimensions and output it as a DXF.

2. Read it into EstlCAM and output the gcode file.

3. Draw on the MPCNC and measure the dimensions.

It gets me using all the tools and the whole process.

What am I missing?

Mike

That should be fine. Keep in mind that if you are using a bit, like a 1/8" bit, the tool will be the radius away from the finished part (1/16"). The pen will draw exactly where the tool coordinate is (minus the thickness of the pen stripe).

In estlcam, with a pen, you can use “engrave” to draw right on the line. But with a bit, you will use “part” and “hole” operations to cut it out.

You can also output gcode directly from FreeCAD with @ianj001 's marlin post processor. I’ve been very happy with it, I draw things in FreeCAD, generate gcode, cut, measure things, tweak sketches, etc, generate again. Most times I don’t have to use other programs.

2 Likes

I jumped in and just started, I put pictures on my Hillsboro Oregon Primo Build Thread.

All the parts are 3D printed or router. Next, build the printer.

Mike

1 Like