Reinstall Estlcam + Repetier settings issues

Hello,

I’ve been using my MPCNC a little bit over the last year. I just reinstalled my computer and have something odd happening I was hoping someone could help me with.

I went through the tutorials again for the settings in Estlcam and Repetier. In Estlcam all is good, I have a string of text that is supposed to take ~21 minutes. The path preview looks spot on to what I’d expect.

I load that file up into Repetier, it says it will take just shy of 24 hours and the preview paths are crazy orbits.

Here are the settings, new users are limited to one picture.

Repetier has a new bug (in versions 2.2…3+) where it thinks arcs go the wrong way around the circle. So if you have a 1mm arc going clockwise, it thinks it is going 900mm anticlockwise, for example. The preview is bonkers, but it plays fine. The dev of RH knows about it, but hasn’t fixed it yet. You can either:

• Downgrade repetier host to 2.2.0 (I can’t remember the exact third number, it might be 2.2.2).
  • Disable arcs in estlcam, so it uses an approximate number of lines instead.
  • Just don’t look at the preview. I am pretty sure it plays fine in Marlin. Marlin certainly knows which way the arcs go. It will certainly play fine from an sd card on the lcd. You can preview with ncviewer.com or cncjs.

@robertbu also mentioned trying 2.1.6 if 2.2.x. versions aren’t working out

You were both right! Preview was bonkers but the cut was exactly as expected. I’ve broken too many bits and messed up enough work pieces that I’m pretty cautious anymore. Though I also could have just had it start up higher to see what it would have actually cut.

Thank you!

1 Like

I made a note to put a link to the previous version in the instructions. I thought this would have been fixed by now.

I posted about it to the RH forum. The dev there said they knew about it. I assume it will be in whatever the next release is. But I don’t really know their business model either.

2 Likes

Well, considering that 3D printing gcode will hardly ever ue arc commands, it’s probably not a big deal to them.

Aside from code that’s been adapted by something like the octorpint arc-welder plugin, 3D printer gcode is mostly made off of mesh files, which by definition are all straight line segments. I’m actually kind of surprised that the visualizer handles arcs at all. Pretty easy to see how it could get missed in testing, I guess.

Still, people do use it for CNC machine work, where 2D drawings have arcs, and of course Marlin supports it just fine.