Repetier connection setup info?

That is just a picture, It will mess things up if you slice with repetier.

I have only ever used the lower left corner as home with milling and 3D printing (I used the center a few times). Do it whatever way you want though it is an arbitrary point.

After thinking about it a bit, and looking at some basic CNC intro videos I see why it should really be lower left corner. That’s always zero in Cartesian systems I guess.

I’m not doing any slicing yet. Just working with a pen so far, then a router. Printing will be down the road.

Still having troubles drawing tonight.

What I’m trying to do is set zero at the bottom left of a piece of paper. I connect in Repetier, use the arrows to move the point of the pen to the bottom left of the paper and touch the surface, then I send the G Code command G92 X0 Y0 Z0 E0 and also @isathome. Then I raise the Z by 10 so that the ink isn’t soaking into the paper. Then I run the program. It draws in the air. If I do not raise the pen it will draw on the paper.

Also, even though I can’t find any settings that change home position, when it returns it is always slightly in a different position than where it started.

Try just resetting the ramps stack, not using the manual commands. Start with a ball point pen so you can figure out where your issue really is, and not have to move the pen before you start.

You should also zip your gcode and upload it here so someone can load it and have a look.

Did you try the test file from here, https://www.v1engineering.com/estlcam-basics/?

Ok, Ill try these suggestions next. The code I am currently using is attached.

The reason I’m so hung up on moving the pen up is because in the future I’m picturing moving XYZ independently and setting zero one at a time when I try to locate stock zero points. Am I correct in thinking this will need to be manual G Code commands, rather than resetting ramps? The only way resetting ramps works is if you are at the exact place in XYZ that you want to be zero.

GooseLogoSmall.zip (6.66 KB)

For most things you will be cutting it out and never really need a exact x or y home, Or at least I don’t, Not even really a solid z home. I surface all my cuts and never rely on an edge. PCB’s would be different in needing an exact z=0 (touchplate is best for this.

For when you do need an exact x&y=0 you should be using endstops. I think you might really be getting ahead of yourself. Get some plotting going, then mill some foam. After that worry about the advanced stuff. You have much more important things to learn like depth of cut, chip load, bit selection, feeds, speeds, CAD, ect. I don’t include endstops because rarely are home positions needed. The lat video had a bit change and a tool change involved and a firmware reflash to activate the laser, all accomplished with no endstops or anything.

Your gcode is moving faster than your machines firmware maximum, causing most of your issues. You have it at 211mm/s max for a perfect machine is 197. Usual is 10-40. Your z depth is only .152mm might want to go a bit deeper.
Your z speed is 20mm/s, max is 8.7mm/s, usual is 2-5mm/s.

Try the test file

Thanks for the analysis. Admittedly, I am in a bit of a rush to get the centerboard of my sailboat milled in time to go on vacation with it next month. From what you describe, it sounds like I will not need exact positioning. Although I still am very interested in learning how to set zeros, move the gantry, and have it return to zero when I play the job.

Starting to understand. Ordering some end stops today since it sounds like they will help with the precision control. Going to slow down my settings, and also test the supplied file tonight.

Thanks for everything man. You are as wise as you are patient.

The machine will return to zero when you ask it to move at a reasonable speed. Right now I am actually surprised it moves much at all and doesn’t just sit there and grind. Going over the firmware speed limit causes all kinds of weird issues.

I really would not even touch endstops until you have a ton of time under your belt running the machine on your own CAM files.

Cool. Would the RepRap Wiki be the place to learn more about the firmware and it’s limits?

It’s here, https://www.v1engineering.com/marlin-firmware/

Don’t expect to move at the limits, let alone cut there. Rapids should not be done at maximum speed, just a bit faster than your cuts.