Repetier-Host Initial Setup

I’ve been AFK with my MPCNC for about a year (moved, no workshop, etc…) but I’m getting back into it and since I have a different computer now I’m also trying to set up the software correctly. I went back through old posts of mine and others as well as the Setup docs on the website but I am unable to locate the old pagers that talked about configuring Repetier-Host properly.

The only page I was able to find is this one: Repetier-Host - V1 Engineering Documentation and it is severely lacking in any real information. Where’s a better page to view to reconfigure Repetier-Host for our MPCNCs?

What do you need to reconfigure? Isn’t it just a click or two to set baud rate and tell it to not disable motors?

1 Like

Repetier-Host is just used as a g-code sender to take a g-code file produced by other software and deliver it to your MPCNC. In terms of setup, there is not much to know beyond the settings Ryan has posted. Is there a specific problem you are trying to solve?

Or perhaps you are getting Repetier-Host and EstlCAM mixed up?

1 Like

No, I’m using EstlCAM to do the initial work on the DXF file, then saving the job for Repetier-Host. I use Repetier to run the CNC itself (as opposed to a memory card) because I want to be able to watch the job run and make edits if necessary.

So the setup I am referring to is for Repetier-Host’s Printer Settings screen. As well as the Baudrate and connection types.

I’m confused. The page you provide the link for in your initial post provides this exact information. You just want to make sure your settings exactly match the values in the screen shots, especially the ones highlighted in yellow. If you find the images difficult to read, you can click on each image to enlarge them.

I guess I was expecting to see more than just a broken picture link and the Connection tab then.

The link is working on my end. Have you tried a browser refresh? The link below has populated as well.

In the end if you have a LCD screen you do not even need repetier.

Is there something specific you are trying to do we can help you with?

1 Like

Your message also shows a broken image on my end, not sure why (I’ve viewed it in multiple browsers too).

I’m just trying to get back to where I was before my move and a new PC. I’ve always used Repetier host so I can watch the jobs happening live vs a card (I do have the LCD too). I just trust seeing it actually running more than relying on the minor output from an LCD screen.

EDIT: all of a sudden your image above popped up finally, but the page I linked to is still showing the broken image. Thank you for the screen.

1 Like

Now if I could only figure out how to get Repetier-Host working on my Lenovo Chromebook I could avoid using my work laptop for non-work stuff. :wink:

It is far more stable and reliable from the SD card in your LCD. Repetier shows you what the cache is being fed not that actual position or what is actually happening. The USB connection if also far less reliable and any disturbance from the PC end will ruin your job…#1 job killer, computer going to sleep, #2 automatic updates.

3 Likes

Not going to be easy that one - a chromebook is built to operate within a browser… meaning it will normally only run software that is displayed in a browser window (like google chrome). There are stories of people hacking their Chromebooks to run Repetier Host -

“Next up after enabling Developer Mode was installing Crouton – This is a program that lets me run Linux within Chrome OS so I can use tools like Repetier Host and Cura which are cross-platform applications but not available for Chrome OS.”

but even Repetier admin support doubt it will all run smoothly…

“I don’t think it will work out of the box. It works on linux, but chromebooks are quite stripped down versions of linux with some modifications I can not oversee. And host requires quite some resources and chromebooks are also low on that normally. Chromebooks are great to control a repetier-server instance running on a pc connected to the printer as this just requires calling the web interface which is what chromebooks are made for - running everything as web app.”

Good luck!

1 Like

That’s what I’ve been finding too. Theoretically possible, but pretty difficult at best.