Revnull LR3 Build, my 1st CNC

This morning I was determined to get this thing to move. The Pi ZeroW fits well in the space and has room for a micro USB power connector, but the GPIO headers and a little too close to the SKR to use standard dupont connections. :frowning: I guess I could remove the header pins and solder directly to the PCB, but that feels a bit permanent for my liking.

There were a hand full of times the load was a bit high so I thought I’d try a 3B+. The SKR’s 5vdc regulator seems to have enough extra mA to power the ZeroW, but the the 3B+ was throttling and under-volting so an external buck will be required. I’m a bit perplexed on how to power this thing since the micro USB power port is blocked and the BPIO header is too tall. I think additional remixing will be needed. Maybe add a couple of mounting holes for the buck. :slight_smile:

The SKR 1.3 fits like a champ! Though pictured, I had to pull the 3B+ out of the case until I can find a way to power and cool it in the existing case. @jeffeb3, any suggestions?

3 Likes

I am using an external buck/boost converter and I soldered straight to the 5V and GND of the input power micro usb. That way, the pi uses its own circuitry to filter the 5V a little.

2 Likes

It lives! Albeit a bit squeaky at the moment. I’ve been able to translate most of the V1 marlin changes into klipper (as far as I can tell) and it moves where I tell it to. Time to build a table I guess.

5 Likes

That’s what I was thinking too, but was hoping to avoid. Did you have any issues with overheating?

It is only on when I am using the machine. I haven’t noticed any.

2 Likes

What software are you running on the Pi? Is there anything that lets you know when you exceed 60c triggering CPU throttle or under-volt?

1 Like

I’m thinking of spinning the Pi 180 degrees so the ports are externally available. This would also make the Pi’s SD card more accessible. Dropping the Pi down a few mm also would make the GPIO pins more usable.

Externally exposed USB ports can be used for cameras or in the case of Klipper, external “MCUs” for extended control.

1 Like

Since the angles of the case are kind of wonky anyway, we can move the Pi to a flat surface. This gives much more room for the GPIO headers

If we also slide the SKR board towards the middle of the case, it will expose the micro USB power port and widen the gap for stepper cable routing.

3 Likes

A little more tinkering. Added mounting spot for a LM2596 buck

Added a 3010 fan to help keep things cool. I think I need to play with the Pi holes a bit. I’m not 100% confident in the Pi model I found.

4 Likes

Hack job complete. :smiley:

Changes:

• Lengthened case by 20mm to accommodate the shuffle
  • Shifted SKR board back to make room for cable routing on all sides of the PCB
  • Added 30x10mm fan to keep things inside the case cool(er)
  • Rotated Raspberry Pi to externally expose ports and re-oriented to be parallel with the bottom of the case.
  • Added mounting points for LM2596 buck converter to power the Pi.
  • Relocated V1 logo cutout to the right of the Pi to accommodate power ingress.

Time to test print I guess.

5 Likes

Because of the environment where this will be operating I would arrange for plugs/covers for the Pi USB and RJ45 ports to prevent dust and chip contamination. Should be easy enough to arrange, I think

1 Like

Going to need to add a little slack space around the USB ports, but everything seems to fit as expected.

Just printed partial height to test screw hole spacing. So far so good.

Not a great picture, but is does show proper spacing between the Pi and the SKR.

I’m making the final adjustments and hopefully final print tonight.

4 Likes

Nice and compact, solid edit right there!

2 Likes

Fits like a glove. :smiley:

Plenty of room for wires and other bits. I think I’m going to replace the 5vdc fan (Pi powered) with a 24vdc that will be controlled by the SKR. The best part is I can switch back to UART control and forgo the giant USB connector. :+1:

3 Likes

Good suggestion, but in it’s default config the case is not exactly sealed. :slight_smile: Granted I haven’t used this before, but the Pi ports are facing the “outside” of the machine away from the dust/chip generator. I get your point though, I’ll print up some plugs just in case. :+1:

1 Like

I doubt the dust will be a big issue. But I have never milled aluminum.

1 Like

I picked up some Wago 221-413 connectors today to use for power distro in the case. Since I have already printed the case twice, I’m looking into mounts that I can glue inside of the case. Since I used ABS, I can acetone bond the parts together.

2 Likes

Man, I don’t know why I spent so much time trying to remix features when I can just acetone bond things together. :smiley:

I ended up using a wago clip that orients the wires up instead of down. This makes using the leavers a little easier. I found some reusable clips that use VHB tape to fasten the silicon wires to the side wall of the case. I’m using a XT60 connector outside of the case since my PSU will likely be tied to the table in some way.

So far, everything fits well. The angle of the SKR power input is a little sharp for my liking, but it works.

Next up, cable routing. There is less room for the semi ridged ribbon style extension cable than I thought. I’m thinking of making a set of JST to male dupont pig tails to hang out of the bottom of the case.

3 Likes

I’ve used CA glue on pla. It melts it and stings my eyes. But it holds together well. It is a good tip, especially on big parts like this.

1 Like

Well damn… I guess I should have found driver models with 12mm tall heatsinks.

It’s not a deal breaker, just not ideal. For now there is just a little bulge and I assume it’s putting a little extra down force on the driver/socket.

I think I’m going to look for slightly shorter heatsinks than the ones that came with the drivers. Someone better at modeling would just make the case taller, but I do not have enough gray left on the spool to attempt re-printing the lid.

5 Likes