Rock Solid Lowrider 2

I have been a longtime user of a MPCNC built oversized. Its been a great little guy but I really need to upgrade to a full sheet bed. Now that I am considering the Lowrider2 I am looking to get some ideas on how I can make it rock solid. So far, this is what I am considering:

• Steel base and riding track
  • Having ProtoLabs Print the 3D components out of aluminum rather than PLA
  • Making the the cross bars out of full round stock 6061 aluminum rather than hollow pipes

Any thoughts on issues I may run into with these adjustments? Its very important that this system be extremely accurate. Any Ideas?

https://forum.v1e.com/t/upgrades-on-stiffness/19060

1 Like

Very cool Thanks!

You will get the most bang for your buck in tube stiffness by increasing the diameter and not by using solid.

What was the estimate on printing out of aluminum. I used to run a stainless printer and a part that was 2" x 1.5" cost about $300. I suspect aluminum will be quite a bit cheaper but still very expensive

See the link, some really awesome/inexpensive upgrades contained therein.

The other upgrade to improve rigidity is to add another set of tubes (4-tubes total) on the X-Axis.

The upgrades from the link above in combination with 4-tubes on the x will get you a full sheet LowRider that eats aluminum. If you want to go faster with improved rigidity, there is a thread for that too.

Plenty of resources already proofed on the forum. Just dig around a bit.