Routing of Y axis belts?

Except for some cable management, I finished up my build this weekend. It wasn’t clear from the assembly docs where the Y axis belts should be routed - inboard or outboard of the Z-axis tubes, and I’ve seen them both ways on others’ machines. Is there a preference? In my case, I have them inboard of the Z-axis tubes, and I notice that the belts don’t run parallel to the table edge/unistrut that way. Thanks for any advice!

That is the right way to route them. Maybe it’s just the picture, but those belt holders at the end look pretty big. Are those standard size?

At any rate, I don’t think it will have an enormous impact, and if it were me, I would leave it as a watch item, and continue with the machine. If there is any significant rubbing/grinding, then you’ll want to fix that.

Thanks. Will do. And, yes, those are the standard belt holders. They’re mounted flush with the open face of the unistrut via some wooden spacers. The belts start their travel (near the motor) slightly inside the unistrut and then end up quite a way out at the holders.

Are the belt holders on the right direction? Mine don’t stick out like that.

Hi, Barry. Mine appear to be installed “upside down” compared to yours. I used this photo from the assembly docs as a reference:

I’m not sure that flipping them over would change the distance of the belts from the unistrut, but it’s something I could look at.

Thanks taking a look!

Can you get a picture of the belt routing on the carriage? It’s kind of a pain, but might give us some more clues.

Will do when I get home.

Here are a few more pics. Aside from jogging it a bit using the touchscreen, I haven’t really moved the gantry much yet, and as @jeffeb3 suggested, it might not be much of an issue. Still, I hate to give up style points…

There’s your problem. Belt goes on the other side.

1 Like

OK. That was my original question. Thanks!

1 Like

Well, all righty, then!

Now to get the router. Thanks for everyone’s help so far!

3 Likes

what is the square metal pipe called there. so I can pick some up. whats the name of it

Are you talking about the c-channel that the wheels are running on?

If so, it’s commonly called (in the US at least) Unistrut. You can find it at your local big box store for about $25 each ten foot length piece.

unistrut or superstrut depending on the store